Wednesday 7 March 2018

Um, so, I'm having an anniversary? || #MyFirstPostRevisited

"What??" I hear you say. "Jem's going to be posting on Friday! She can't be posting today - she only posts once a week!"

Well, yes. I only post once a week (maximum) because I don't want to go raising your expectations. But today is special! so of course it's 7pm and I've just remembered I needed to actually write this post.
........

Everyone in the blogosphere (it seems) has been having an anniversary. Several blogs reached one year old over the last few months - and they're so lovely-looking for baby bloggers that I'm in awe - but one of note is turning seven. Seven. Wow. (Go congratulate Christine, okay?)

Anyway, I'm jumping on this trend: I, too, am having a blog anniversary! Blogoversary! Blog... birthday?? 


One year ago today, I started this blog. I didn't have any huge ambitions for it, or even any idea what I was going to do with it, but my TAFE studies required me to start a social media platform (just to show I could), and the alternative was Facebook.

I've seen my grandmother's Facebook feed. It frankly scares me. 

So! It's been one year. I gradually developed a kind-of aim, although I'm still pretty scattered in my topics, and I joined the community of young Christian writers. It was intimidating at first, because everyone knew each other and the blogs all seemed to be huge famous things that wouldn't want me there.

(I have since discovered that's a crazy way to think and that everyone here is welcoming and a lovely person.) But I still get intimidated. *sighs at self*

I now have 43 followers on the Blogger gadget, and at least 12 email followers! You all are amazing and quite possibly slightly crazy. Thank you for reading what I have to say. <3 And to everyone who reads and/or comments, whether or not you're following, I extend a huge thank you as well! Every comment is special to me, however short or long it is. (or: however formal or scream-y.)

*throws lamingtons and TimTams at you all* *no confetti, because that would get in the food*
........

And, back in December, Melissa Gravitis tagged me for the #MyFirstPostRevisited hop. I decided to save it for this particular occasion, because there's really no better way to celebrate than by looking back at your past self and cringing, right?


The Rules for the hop, originally started by Sarah:
  • No cheating. You must highlight your first post. Not your second post, not one you love… the first post only.
  • Link back to the person who tagged you (thank them if you feel like it or, if not, curse them with a plague of ladybugs).
  • Cut and paste your old post into a new post or reblog your own bad self. (Either way is fine, but NO editing.)
  • Put the hashtag #MyFirstPostRevisited in your title.
  • Tag five (5) other bloggers to take up this challenge.
  • Notify your tags in the comment section of their blog (don’t just hope they notice a pingback somewhere in their spam).
  • Feel free to cut and paste the badge to use in your post.
  • Include “the rules” in your post.
Thanks, Melissa! *starts scavenging for a few friendly ladybugs because I'm not sure how to feel about this tag*

'kay, here we go.
........
So I seem to have a blog.

?

Well, at the moment you can probably expect casual posts about writing - including encouragement, the details of a few points of grammar, occasional rants on the writing life, and hopefully some flash fiction prompts. Also, I'll probably write about reading and libraries, and no doubt there'll be fandom references.

Of course, there will be deviations from the writerly theme when I find a new favourite thing, so please excuse. (Mug cakes. So cool. I'll stuff them under 'writing life', actually, because they're quick and easy and gooey and there's just something about eating cake out of a mug that has me enthralled.)



........

(Sadly, the mug cakes sort of... died.)

That was not as bad as I'd maybe anticipated?? *sends Melissa happy yellow ladybugs* It was also not very exciting. But to be fair, my only known audience for my first post was my TAFE lecturer. See if you don't think that would cramp your style.

Tagging:
  1. Cait Drews
  2. The author of that debut YA novel titled "A Thousand Perfect Notes" (it won't be too unprofessional of a post, I'm sure??)
  3. Paper Fury
  4. The Dragon Queen who's planning on taking over earth from her base on Jupiter
  5. ...guess who?
Look. I can't find the archives, okay? And once or twice she's threatened terrible things to anyone who hunts through her old posts. She's such a successful blogger, considering she routinely threatens her audience, and I want to see where she started from.

I dare you, Cait. I daaaare you. *puppy eyes*
........

So... that's my blogoversary. I'd have done a Q&A, but I'm too secretive I wasn't very organised. Or organised at all. So, since you might have to wait for next year's blogoversary, I hope there was nothing dreadfully urgent you wanted to ask me!

(If there was - "what are your opinions on pineapple on pizza", for example, which is obviously a very urgent question and is also one I stole from Evangeline's recent Q&A - you would have to ask me in the comments. I promise I would answer. As long as this hypothetical question was urgent. And important. Like "would an alpaca or a goat be a more dangerous ride for a small child". Urgent questions, see.)

How long have you been blogging? Don't there seem to be a lot of blogs turning one in the last few months? If yours was one of them, tell me in the comments! Also ask any urgent questions you may have. If you're a follower of Paper Fury, are you anxious to see her first post? (answer: yes.) Have you found the young writers circles of the blogosphere to be wonderfully welcoming? (if not, tell me, and I'll give you more lamingtons. as a welcome.)

Also, shoutout to Miss March (who runs a beautifully classic/period drama appreciation style of blog) for being my first ever commenter (and the only commenter on my first, oh, five posts?) It meant a lot to me. <3

27 comments:

  1. HALLO! IT'S YOUR BLOGGY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!! *squeals and squeals and squeals* OH MY GOODNESS, JEM, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

    Yes, I need to see Cait's first post! That would be awesome!!!!!!

    Mine is in fact one of them, and next week will be my big blog party thingy where I will probably make a fool of myself! Whoody ya hoo! *facepalm*

    Also, your first post actually isn't bad! It's quirky, which I love. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeaks* THANKS, FAITH! (I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm! <3)

      Mwahaha... if I were Cait I'd be ignoring this pesky one-year-old blogger very hard. xD

      Ooh, yes, you're having a party! (With an actual Q&A. xD) I look forward to it!

      Delete
  2. Lol Happy blogversery.. yeah everyone has been having them. Not yet for me tho! Mine started in June ^_^ I was also a bit nervous about the whole followers thing but Faith and Gray were pretty much my firsties.. Congrats!
    Ry @ greenacresfarmgirlliving4god.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like 2017 was a good year to start blogging! ;) I'm pretty sure Faith and Gray were early followers of mine, too - they're lovely people.

      Thanks for visiting, Ry!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, CONGRATS!! Happy blogoversary! This is so exciting. Everyone is having a blogoversary and I'm over here like, "Well, still got a few months before mine." XD

    I have found the writing blog circle to be wonderfully kind and amazing people. I worried I was a weird awkward blogger who wasn't welcome in the circle because everyone knew each other and their posts were spectacular, but I have since seen that everyone is welcoming and always there if you need them.

    I won't say everyone I've come into contact with online have been nice to me. I've been put down and attacked plenty of times, but I knew who my true blogging friends are and I know I have them and hopefully they know they have me.

    Wow, that got a bit sappier than I meant. XD

    Congrats again! I hope this year is your best yet!

    <3

    ~Ivie|Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I had a few months (seven or something??) before my blogoversary... You'll be an old blogger (with one or two virtual gray hairs, perhaps??) before very long at all, Ivie! (You're well-established in the community already, so... ;)

      That's just how I felt! Everyone knew each other, and had this blogging thing (and their writing) sorted. (But now my blog's a year old, I'm thinking that I still don't know what I'm doing, so either they know something I don't, or we're all faking it. ;P)

      Aw, I'm sorry - I guess it's too much to ask that everyone's nice online?? :/ But I hope knowing you have some true friends helps make up for it? (And that wasn't sappy - it can be hard to communicate emotion through the internet, so too often I think we rely on snark and don't say true, deep things because we feel awkward. <3)

      Delete
  4. I love Cait as well! πŸ˜„ Yeah, she's told us not to dig through her old posts... but now that you mention it... I'm curious about what her first post is! 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehehe... Right, Julia, here's the plan... we all gang up in the comments of her next post and dare/beg her to do it. Okay?? xP

      Delete
  5. Yes, there seems to be a LOT of blogs that have been turning one these past few months (I know mine was one of them, and my sis's other blog is turning one in a few days). And yes, bloggers are a really welcoming bunch which is honestly one of the best things about them. :)

    I admit, that is a unique reason to start a blog. And I feel you on the Facebook thing. I tried running a page for someone in grad school and it was not really that cool. Only increased my annoyance of the darn thing.

    Awesome post, Jem!!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *offers you TimTams for your blogoversary* *and some for your sister* (Your sister blogs too? That's cool! I... can't imagine if my sister blogged, though... I'd be a lot more frazzled. xD Who's your sister/what's her blog?)

      I know some people have Facebook for writing platform purposes, but I just can't bring myself to do it! ;)

      Thanks, Catherine! :D

      Delete
    2. She's technically my BFF, but we're so close we call each other sister. It's Lilah @ The Singing Writer (lilahsmusicals.blogspot.com).

      *munches on TinTams* Thanks Jem!

      Delete
  6. One year of blogging! Congratulations, Jem, and here's to many more! *teacup clink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sips teacup filled with chocolate milk* Thanks, Blue! I certainly hope I'll be part of this amazing community for many more years. ;)

      Delete
  7. EEEEEP! CONGRATULATIONS, JEM!!!! One year is AMAZING. I celebrated my One Year in August of last year, so my smol blog is turning two this year. #help But yes!!! The writing community on here is just outstanding. I can't even begin to describe how amazing it is!! <3

    Also! I NEED THOSE MUG CAKE RECIPE THINGS. I love mug cake, but I've never actually made a homemade one??? I NEED. PLEASE. XD And I do have an urgent question, obviously:
    If you rip your left arm off with a chainsaw, should you go to the ER, or will the bleeding stop eventually??? Kind of need to know before I pass out. Thanks.

    (once again, CONGRATULATIONS ON ONE YEAR!!!! I hope you have many happy years of blogging to come!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two?? Kenzie, your blog is going to be sO OLD. (Do you think it'll enter the "Terrible Twos" stage, as small children do, though??)

      You can find my post with two mug cake recipes - here. I tried both of them out - they're good! :D

      (thanks, Kenzie!! so do I, if just for the amazing community. <3)

      Delete
    2. WAIT NO how did I miss your urgent question?? my apologies, Kenzie! *whacks on my pharmacy name-tag* In my professional opinion... I'd say that if you're still alive, you made the right call. Tell me what you ended up doing. And don't juggle any more chainsaws.

      (That would be difficult to do with only one arm, anyway...)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Jem! Here's to many more years of blogging! :D

    There does seem a lot of blog birthdays at this time of year - mine is the beginning of February so I guess I can't talk. :)

    It would be interesting to see Cait's first post (and her comments on it of course), and thanks for reminding me of the existence of mug cakes. They'll be perfect for winter blues. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, happy blog birthday for February, Jessica! *checks your blog* Five years of blogging? Wow! *confetti and chocolate*

      I'm certainly interested (and yes, she needs to have a commentary with it ;) - and I hope mug cakes can brighten some cold winter day!

      Delete
  9. *accepts happy yellow ladybugs* CONGRATS ON TURNING ONE! *tackle hugs*

    It's always a pleasure to read your blog! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs back* Thanks, Melissa! <3 (and thanks for the excellent tag ;)

      Delete
  10. AHH AHHHA I'M DYING. I THINK MAYBE YOU TAGGED ME? I CAN'T TELL.πŸ˜‚But like first things first: happy bloggy birthday!! *throws confetti and cake crumbs at you* This is a momentous occasion and I hope you demanded your family make you dessert to celebrate??? I always try to pull that off with my family anyway ahem.πŸ˜‚Anyway, I hope there are a bazillion (because you will definitely live that long) more years of blogging to come because you are fab. :D

    And also can I confess right now that my first post is literally JUST the Jabberwocky poem because I didn't know how to blog?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ It's not exciting, I swear.πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family doesn't know, I don't think? because I don't actually encourage them to read my blog (that way I can talk about them without too many repercussions xD). But the amazing blogosphere people have been giving me dessert, so I'm good! *eats your cake crumbs too*

      aha, yes, I think I tagged you somewhere in there? (although I couldn't, off the top of my head, remember if you were based on Jupiter or Saturn. So I may have accidentally tagged someone else??) And how can the Jabberwocky poem as a first post not be exciting?? That poem is crazy cool. xD (ALSO, I trawled through archives and found it, and it had more than just the poem. You promised laughter, chocolate and balloons. Not murder. xD)

      Delete
  11. CONGRATULATIONS *throws you some chocolate* *makes you some tea*
    and hmm, it seems like maybe you tagged Cait? Maybe? It could be someone else, I suppose. Hermione Granger, Taylor Swift, Batgirl... xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I recall of Hermione, "Paper Fury" might be a fairly accurate name?? so I may have tagged her. I wonder what her first post was about??

      *eats chocolate*

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))