Sunday 26 July 2020

One Quirk Later #3



I absolutely definitely have not been bingeing The Silver Eye. Or listening to Stay Gold on repeat. Or reading Batfam fanfiction.

Definitely not.

I will, however, admit to a) picking up my one-volume Lord of the Rings for a reread; b) joining a basketball team; and c) getting called back into the library for the first time in four months! (I mean. It's still going to be very spotty because they shouldn't need casuals due to decreased hours. But I do have a few shifts!)

Could I have these posts drafted out well beforehand?? well. Yes. But where would be the stress fun in that.

...all that to say. TIME FOR A QUIRK.



One Quirk Later: Prompt #3


(Individual pictures can be found on my boards c. girls, f. dialogue, d. settings)

I think this prompt could go a few directions... 

(Fun? sure! Angst? love it! Creepy? why not!)

• • • • • • •

To join in with this madness:

  1. Write whatever this picture prompt inspires you to!
  2. Post it on your blog! (Unless you prefer to keep it private, which is fine too.)
  3. Link back to this post—and there's a link-up image, too, if you'd like to use that.

  4. Comment on one of my posts so I can come and read your amazing writing!!
  5. And I'll list your links the next post. :D

• • • • • • •
And we have a few members of the One Quirk Later Society for Quirk 1 and 2! Here's everyone who's joined in so far:
(in case, like me, you sometimes find it hard to keep track of things if they're not set out in neat little lists.)

The Temperamental Writer offered brothers, banter and angst!
Kate Marie joined with a "cozy little mystery"!

Obviously if I have missed you let me know ahaha (my lists. I need them.)
• • • • • • •

SO. What do you think?? Is there a particular plot bunny this quirk has brought up?? (As always, past prompts are still fair game!) Do you write a lot of banter or angst? Have you ever written a creepy story? Are you a reader of The Silver Eye??

Also FUN FACT: it's not shown in the movies due to the compressed timeline, but in the book—if my maths is correct and I'm not misinterpreting Appendix C's family trees—Merry is nineteen at the time of Bilbo's party and yet faced off with the Sackville-Bagginses on Frodo's behalf, I knew I loved him for a reason. (Sam* and Fatty are twenty-one. Pippin is e l e v e n. I'm dying at the thought of the movie this context.)

*except the timeline in Appendix B seems to say Sam's eighteen? could someone who knows what's up please enlighten me.

10 comments:

  1. I am SO excited to write this one!

    Also, ALL the <3s for Merry, LOTR and that whole world. And the book = better than the movie for SURE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so excited to see what you write! ;)

      Merry is epic. xD And the movies are wonderful, but the book has so much more detail and character!

      Delete
  2. Yay new prompt! I don't have any particular ideas yet but...they'll come, right? I hope??
    AH, I love to picture the movie scene with the hobbits being those ages :) My sister (Professor X) and I have spent a lot of time examining the timelines in the LOTR appendix, finding all kinds of useful information. Like Eowyn would have been SIX during Bilbo's birthday party. And Sam and Faramir are the same age? And Faramir was FIVE when his mom died?? Also Aragorn was TEN during the events of the hobbit (Ten-year-old Aragorn cameo, please). And he meets Gandalf the White on his BIRTHDAY. Finding out Gandalf isn't dead=the best birthday present ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the prompt and stared blankly at the screen, so... those ideas are sneaky things, Erik, but I'm sure you'll grab them eventually xD

      Those are excellent LotR facts!! (Poor Faramir.) I read somewhere that Viggo Mortensten refused to reprise his role for the Hobbit due to Aragorn being 10... but that was Pinterest, so a reliable news source it is not.

      Delete
  3. So I FINALLY wrote something for one of your prompts. I keep trying to each time, because your prompts are really very good, but nothing has ever come of it until now. I'll probably post the abomination next week :-) (I call it an abomination affectionately)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Becky, I'll check it out! And welcome to the Quirk Society!

      (I guess it's like calling your pet (or child, I suppose??) a little monster. We writers have some pretty weird 'children', but we love them abomination or no xD )

      Delete
  4. Just popped back in to let you know my response to this prompt is up on my blog! Can't wait to read what you write :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally posted my story for this! I'm so happy to finally get to participate in your prompt linkup.

    https://mothoftheday.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/the-gold-vine-a-short-story/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! Can't wait to read it, Becky! (sadly I am at work, on my tiny mobile, but when I get home.)

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))