Thursday 1 September 2022

Book Week

Why hello there. 

Last week was Children's Book Week here in Australia. So seeing as I work in a field vaguely related to those themes, we got permission to dress up!

...I was basically. the only one at my branch to get into costume. (Except for one girl who came one day as Peter Rabbit, that was cute.)

If you get told you can dress up at work, take advantage of it, kids!! Bring the chaos. Dewit.

Anyway yes. I'm not very experienced with costumes but I dressed up so here are pictures! that's basically all this post will be, tbh.

Mary Poppins, for both the first and last day (crocheted the trimmings myself, for Book Week last year, so I had to wear the hat twice xD) 

Mad Hatter, second day. Please ignore the frantic expression, I was getting into character. The hat was experimental, particularly with getting it perched on top, but it worked okay.

(^ close-up of the hat because it was quite a project xD)

And then the Queen of Hearts. I didn't get a good photo of the full outfit (or the heart I drew on one cheek ...there were more hearts in the final product, I promise xD) so you get "off with her head" pose instead. 

And then, also in August, there was an event outside of work which complemented Book Week very nicely! 

(^ The X wing pilot is one of our duly elected representatives. His craft is made from old campaign signs. He is an inspiration.)

  (^ Thor was super nice and also if I had arms like that I too would want that costume)

 
(^ I swear I have hair. And eyes. They're just hard to see. Thank you, sister-who-took-photos-for-me, I do appreciate your work. xD)

Also I had three or four people ask to take a photo with me (!!), and a bunch smile and say "fezzes/bowties are cool!", and I got to hit my sister with a training sabre and foil. 

That wasn't related to my costume but it was an important feature. 

Sorry sister.

  • • • • • • •

I hate taking photos... and being in photos... can you tell by the way my face is insane in like 80% of these. (also face reveal? apparently so!)

Do you celebrate Book Week? (It's a different time of year in the US, I think?) I'd really like to make a bigger deal of Book Week next time than we managed to do this year... what activities do you think would be really fun? Trivia, writing comics, craft...? 

What opportunities do you get to dress up and what's your go-to costume? Would you dress up in public? I actually wouldn't have been able to imagine dressing like this at work when I was younger but I am SO glad I've got a little more of a "...you know what, who cares?" attitude now. It makes life much more interesting!

  • • • • • • •

Now for an important reminder:

Monday next week, the Silmaril Awards will begin! *vague screaming* The regular line-up of Tolkien characters will be visiting a whole bunch of bloggers in order to host this annual event. There is guaranteed to be chaos. (Source: I hosted the villains last year, I know chaos when I see it.) Don't miss out on this opportunity to scream happily (and sometimes unhappily) about your favourite characters!! because we should all be doing that a lot more, honestly.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds delightful, and I love all your costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time! Your costumes are epic!!!

    I don't get a lot of opportunities to dress up... I've been Jyn Erso a couple of times. I really want to get my hands on a Cinderella 2005 dress and just wear it randomly various places... but $$$. *sigh*

    Yay for the Silmaril Awards!!

    (this is Jenelle, by the by, your blog isn't letting me comment with my google account or name/url...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jyn Erso sounds like a great costume, Jenelle! And Cinderella's skirts are so swooshy... it'd be fun to just wear them around!

      Delete
  3. This is so much fun! I love that your work gave you permission to dress up for Children's Book Week, too! As the kids these days would say...that's so wholesome!

    Also! Your costumes! Are amazing! (If I received the assignment to dress up as a book character, or even the permission to do so, I would probably panic and then do nothing. Or something super boring.) (My go-to costume is a library, because my grandma made me a book-patterned cloak when I was in high school. Easy and on brand, lol.)

    Lastly, face reveal? This is crazy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! And a library is an inspirational costume for you wear, we should all aspire to be libraries xD Now I low-key want to be able to look people in the eye and say "...I'm a library" next Book Week??

      Delete
  4. Your costumes are SO COOL! *starry eyes* (Also, face reveal! XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Face reveal indeed... who would have thought i had a face, hey Zuko xD (Thank you!!)

      Delete
  5. *Gasp* the benevolent grandmother wizard has a FACE? *staggers backward in shock*
    I love your costumes! I like the idea of making cool character costumes, but do I ever actually...? No. The answer is no. This is very inspiring. I especially like what you did with the hats. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The benevolent (mostly) grandmother is also shocked. What is this thing called a face. Do I want it. Hm.

      That sounds exactly like me, Professor Sponge... I even collect things like "oh, that will be cool for a costume!" and just. Never do. So when work says "wanna dress up?" I insist to myself that I need to Do The Thing xD (You too can do the thing! Make a costume! Wear it to the shops! Spark chaos by how cool you are!)

      Delete
  6. Okay so the costumes in their entirety are wonderful, but the HATS. The hats are the crowning (ha, ha, get it) achievement. They make me happy.

    Book Week is a marvellous invention. Why have I never heard of it before. (Now that I too have moved from "but what if someone judges me for wearing pigtails when I'm not twelve anymore?" to "who cares, I will carry my chickens around in public with me if I FEEL LIKE IT" I think I'd have a blast. It's wonderful to be old and grumpy and not care if people judge one or not and DRESS UP LIKE CHARACTERS.)
    (Although. I went to a Japanese festival with a friend, and besides the fact that it was much more "hey, Americans, here's some highly commercialized glimpses of Japanese culture!" than actual authentic obon festival like he'd hoped it would be [like he went to when he was a kid in California, he's Japanese], there were also these people walking around with the most enormous wolf??? things on their heads? And it was terrifying. I do not aim to terrify anyone.)

    Also, your face is simultaneously very much like I'd have thought you'd look and very much not even close to that. I don't know how that works. Er...you have a nice face, Gandalf. *pats your nice face like a hobbit with no concept of personal space*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided that if the hat is epic, the rest of the costume can be overlooked as long as it's vaguely in the right tone xD I'm glad the hats made you happy!

      Yess!! Carry your chickens, Sarah!! It is indeed wonderful to be old and grumpy and Not Care what people think. (Like Sophie Hatter. We should all be Sophie Hatter. (I believe she would carry chickens if she had them!) I aspire to be her.)

      (That Japanese festival sounds really interesting but also giant wolf heads do sound... a little scary? probably they're meant to, but still. "I do not aim to terrify anyone" yes.)

      I've always felt like internet people who started faceless do not in fact have faces, and anything they suggest is their face just feels Wrong. xD Face reveals are... vaguely unsettling, in a way, honestly?? for about two minutes, anyway xD

      *accepts hobbit-like face-pats like a twinkling-eyed Gandalf should* (I mean... he didn't exactly have a concept of personal space either - or perhaps I mean private property. It takes a lot of guts (or lack of caring what people think) to invite thirteen dwarves over to your unwitting friend's house for dinner...)

      Delete
  7. Costumes are ALWAYS a good idea. And book inspired costumes are even better. Particularly when HATS are involved. (I'm pretty sure that mad-hatter hat is actually magically defying the laws of physics in staying atop your head, and I am in awe)
    Also, you have a face? You are in fact HUMAN?? *grandchildren crowding around the computer screen to see Grandma's face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the Mad Hatter hat certainly FELT like it was defying the laws of physics?? it required clips, hair pins, a chin-ribbon... yet I still don't understand how it remained.

      hmmm IS Grandma human, that's the question. *waves at grandchildren with a cheerful smile showing teeth definitely normal and not-fae levels of pointiness*

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))