Sunday 23 September 2018

the Nameless Book Tag (second time around)

On the first day of this most excellent and productive year of 2018 (productive? hm. Any 'yes' votes for that? I'm going with 'no'...), Olivia at Important Nothings tagged me! And because I am an irresponsible human with way more procrastination than one person should be allowed to have, I'm doing it now! *counts on fingers* ... literally a quarter of a year later.  
HI SMALL UPDATE FOR MID-YEAR ME, IT'S NOW SEPTEMBER. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.  
Uh. Literally eight months later?


Sorry, Olivia! (I do appreciate being tagged, people [even if I take forever] - partly for the post idea, and mostly just knowing that someone thought of me ;)

I have done the Nameless Book Tag before (although it came to me under a slightly different name: The Mysteriously Nameless Tag of Doom). Since the questions are the same, I've decided to attempt a slightly different approach this time (with updated answers, obviously, because last time was allll the way back in November! and my blog was still a smol thing that didn't have a clue what it was doing!), and also this time may involve more gifs.


–{{What book has been on your shelf the longest?


Well this one's the same as last time: Anne of Green Gables. Haven't read it in forever, though.

Quick question, slightly unrelated: does anyone ever read that first page? You know, the one that's "only" two sentences long??



–{{What is your current read, your last read, and the book you’ll read next?




Current read: A Burglar's Guide to the City, Geoff Manaugh. I saw the title in my library's catalogue and instantly knew I had to get it. Surprisingly (for me), it's non-fiction. (Which honestly is making it cooler.)

Last read: Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynne Jones. This one will be a re-read. Because when Sophie got turned into an old lady she invited herself into someone's house and wouldn't leave, got grumpy and said what she liked, and forcefully cleaned the house she'd invaded. I love her so much. I want to be her.


Next read: Undivided, by Neal Shusterman. The fourth and final book! (I think!) This series has been so creepy... particularly the real-life articles scattered through the books. e.g. "Euthanasia"? oh no, you mean "creation of spare parts"! I forget what country that was in, but wOW. Scary.


–{{What book did everyone like, but you hated?


The book I hated most?


I did hate Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh. It kept saying how amazing the MC was - how cunning! and skilled! and better than anyone else regardless of physical build and experience! - but she was just super annoying and made terrible decisions and rushed into things with no idea or backup. I had no idea what the plot or setting was doing. And the romance was a Nope from me.

At least, that's how I remember it. I may have scrubbed details from my memory.


–{{What book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?



Last time, I said Jane Eyre. I have since read Jane Eyre and found it much more enjoyable than anticipated. (I also appreciated how she was a strong female character in that she ||> walked away from the guy she liked, even when he begged her not to,  because it would have been morally wrong to stay. <|| That's strength.)

Now, uh, I keep thinking I should read Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera or something - I want to read more classics! - but they're honestly intimidating?? (Do you have a favourite classic you wish to scream at me to read? do so in the comments. I just need a bit of encouragement!)


–{{What book are you saving for retirement?


WHY PUT OFF TILL TOMORROW A BOOK YOU CAN READ TODAY.

Unless, of course, it's really long and boring and you don't actually want to read it. In which case I'm not spending my retirement on it either.


–{{Last page: read it first, or wait till the end?


If I'm not sure about a book (e.g. I picked it up off the library shelves with no background info whatsoever), I'll flick through and probably read the last page or three.

I'm going to be completely honest here: I also occasionally read the last pages when I'm finding a book way too stressful. Knowing they die is so much better than worrying about it... right?

(Which is why my response to *vague online screaming about Infinity War* was to read up on all the spoilers I could find. It dulls the pain and cuts the stress dramatically! No stress now! Just fury! And denial!)

(me @Marvel) (I'm Loki) (obviously)


–{{Acknowledgement: waste of paper and ink, or interesting aside?


When a book has three hundred (or five hundred) pages, spending one or two on acknowledgements couldn't really be called a waste. Besides, it's interesting to have that glimpse into an author's life. (I like to look through the acknowledgements and see if there's some 'writing buddies' group which has other authors I read. Some books I recognise several of the names.)


–{{Which book character would you switch places with?


I'd like to pick someone exciting.

But then I would die.

Running is something I carefully avoid. I have no training in weapons. I ain't a smooth talker. No magic powers, no ability to talk to animals, no Sherlock Holmes-like level of smarts, no charismatic leadership ability.

(This would be me trying to be an epic book character...)

I would switch with Bilbo Baggins, and I would die. But it would be awesome while it lasted.

I'd rather insert myself into the story beside Bilbo, instead of switching places with him, but unfortunately that wasn't the question.

(I've only just realised that the question puts Bilbo into my place... which would be odd, to say the least, for him. No hobbit-holes [or hobbit food] here... but at least I have books.)

(Although I'm not sure what he'd make of those not-so-little volumes with the name Tolkien on the side...)


–{{Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (place, time, person)?


I have some books that my friend gave me for my birthday, which always make me think of her. But it's awkward because the books honestly make me grumpy?? They're "Christian fiction" and just irritate me to pieces. Awkward. 


–{{Name a book that you acquired in an interesting way.


When I graduated Grade 12, the principal gave me a copy of Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. I was seriously intimidated by the thought of the big wide world I was supposed to jump into. I didn't know what I wanted to do, and I didn't have the skills (by which I mean social experience) to get a job anyway. I was, frankly, freaking out.

So I'd love to say Don't Waste Your Life showed me what to do and got me sorted out. But, well, I found it a struggle to get through. And there was so much patriotism. And while the title is great, it exactly matched my fear... which made me feel somehow guilty in advance, for whatever bizarre reason??

But I appreciated the thought.

And should probably attempt a re-read. 


–{{Have you ever given a book away for a special reason to a special person?


Birthdays and Christmases. Not much else.


–{{Which book has been with you most places?


I'd love to be able to say "oh, that would be The Silmarillion!", or "my one-volume compilation of The Lord of the Rings, of course!" Because that would be cool and I'd enjoy telling people that.

Unfortunately not.

I don't usually carry books with me. I get carsick. Besides, when I do carry books (for in waiting rooms and things like that), I'll take a couple, read them, and next time take a different book which I haven't read yet.


–{{Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad later?


As I said last time, Pride and Prejudice. Although I didn't hate it when I read it? Just when I was told beforehand - I went "uGH" and then actually enjoyed the book.


Me to me: be careful what you say; you might need to eat your words.

Books I still don't want to re-read include: Animal Farm, Romeo and Juliet, and Fly Away Peter.

The Importance of Being Ernest was pretty good, though.


–{{Used or brand new?


Brand new does say "someone was thinking of you!" (because I buy new books practically never), but I also find it intimidating, somehow? I'm worried that my fingers will sweat and buckle the pages and I'll bend the spine and crease the cover and basically be an Irresponsible Bookworm. 


–{{Have you ever read a Dan Brown book?




–{{Have you ever seen a movie you liked more than the book?


*scratches head* I can think of quite a few that were the other way around...

(me watching movie adaptations of books)
(And then I stab someone. Obviously.)


–{{Have you ever read a book that’s made you hungry (cookbooks included)?


The answer would be yes if it wasn't for my mother. Because I'd forget to put down the book and eat. And then I would be hungry. Fortunately I have a wonderful mother who makes us all take meals together. At mostly decent times of the day.


–{{Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?


No one, basically. What with everyone having different tastes (and different content concerns), it's difficult to find someone who's a good match.


–{{Is there a book out of your comfort zone (e.g., outside your usual reading genre) that you ended up loving?


If I Run, by Terri Blackstock. Christian fiction and thriller? (I mean, I've read some kids' "thriller"-type genre before... like Alex Rider. It gets old quick. And "Christian fiction", as a general rule, I don't gravitate towards.)

But I really enjoyed this book! (Have I mentioned that I have a thing for the fugitives sub-genre?)
........

So that's more about my reading habits and preferences. Feel free to recommend books to me - either here or on Goodreads - if you love 'em or if you think, based on what I've said, that I'll love 'em. Have you read any of these? Are any on your TBR? Who invented this tag and why did they feel the need to specifically ask if we'd read any Dan Brown?? Is there a movie I should have liked more than the book? Is there anyone reading this who has carried The Silmarillion around with them everywhere?? And please tell me I'm not the only one who freaked out at the end of school. If that is/was you as well, say so in the comments and I will commiserate with you.

19 comments:

  1. Tale of Two Cities! That is all.

    Awesome tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Righty-ho, I shall put that one on my TBR with your name beside it, Faith! :)

      Delete
    2. Totally irrelevant, but, Florid Sword, is your name based on Andrew Peterson's series?

      --Anna H.

      Delete
  2. Ah, the Nameless Book Tag! And exactly, who the heck is Dan Brown???

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who he is, Nicole, except that his most known novel (Da Vinci Code) is one of the most common books I've seen at op-shops... second to the Twilight series. ;P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. "If I Run" was excellent - I love reading fugitive stories, and whether it's romantic or not, the relationship between the fugitive and the lead detective is always fascinating!

      Delete
  4. Yayyy you finally did it!!! Haha. And don't feel too bad about procrastinating specific posts, bc I'm procrastinating blogging, period, right now. It's terrible. xD Loved reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been procrastinating blogging for months now, Olivia... good luck. xP

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I'm 100% with you on Christian Fiction. Just no.

    I loved reading your answers (and I might mention that I've tagged you for a bookish tag!)! As always, your humor makes me laugh my head off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time Christian Fiction seems to think it doesn't need to be good? because it gets a hard enough time from non-Christians so we're supposed to stand behind it just because it's Christian? (or, y'know, mentions God a couple of times and has a preachy section or two??)

      *plops your head back on your shoulders* *dusts it off* Pleased to hear it, Sarah! xD (I'll add that tag... *ominously* to my list.)

      Delete
  6. Will this poor tag ever find a proper name? Nice to see it come around again, though.
    I liked Les Mis- unabridged mind you. It's not all that scary, really! Just long...and sad...
    But worth reading!
    I don't take the Silmarillion with me everywhere, but I used to take it to my old workplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure it's so much more fun to whisper ominously "the nameless tag..." - Poor thing! ;P

      Ah, yes... it's the length of Les Mis I was afraid of! Nevertheless, I shall put it on my TBR with your name - hopefully that will encourage me to get onto it. ;)

      Ha! Did bringing the Silmarillion to work impress or frighten your workmates, Blue??

      Delete
  7. As of now, the book i've been reading is Plan Graphics For The Landscape Designer .( It is indeed exactly what it sounds like, a college textbook about designing landscape plants ( in other words, how to properly draft a possible landscape.) The only interesting part is I like some of the illustrations in color. I highly don't recommend it unless you are taking Landscape Design I or similar. Unless you are tired. In that case, it will quickly make you fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, textbooks! I shall keep that one in mind if I'm having trouble sleeping. ;P I hope your course is going well, Evan!

      Delete
  8. Actually was just at Olivia’s church this past Sunday and got to chat with her for a few minutes....then up goes your post, lol

    Honestly, Jane Eyre is an amazing read. I know a guy who calls it his favorite book (and he’s a outdoorsy rock climber, too).

    And

    Actually

    I DO

    Carry my paperback copy of the Silmarillion with me. It’s been to Belarus, Germany, and all over the US (East coast to West coast and everywhere in between). It’s just so easy to tuck it into my purse and read a chapter or two...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Olivia in real life, Julian?? That's so cool!

      So it was YOU I was thinking of! I had vague recollections of hearing about someone who took the Silmarillion everywhere... and wow, it's a very well-traveled book! xD (You know, you're the kind of person that gives LotR fans their reputation for, uh, dedication? xP)

      Delete
    2. Yeah...my family hates watching tLotR with me.

      Gimli: I asked for one hair from her golden head...she gave me three.
      Me: THATS BECAUSE FEANOR ASKED FOR THAT AND SHE SAID NOOOOOO it has nothing to do with you, gimli, she was just throwing one final stab at feanor

      Delete
    3. I've never actually seen that bit (*sobs at extended editions*) - but I watched the regular ones with my mother and my brother respectively (forced them to do it...) and I'm pretty sure they hate watching with me too?? because I quote lines when the character has just opened their mouth, and I'm like "oh, I saw this theory on Pinterest that-!" and "they actually did throw an egg into his mouth!" and "tO ISENGARD-GARD-GARD-GARD". And they just go "Jem please no."

      But knowing the background of the Silmarillion is so cool when applied to LotR! Even though I have a lot of pins regarding the Silmarillion... xD

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))