Saturday 8 September 2018

What Was I Up To During My Unannounced Four-Month Hiatus?

Two weeks ago, I awkwardly reappeared in the blogophere.


With very few excuses to offer, really. I haven't written a trilogy while I was gone. I haven't been on some kind of cleansing technology abstinence.

I'm not even super-relaxed by the whole hiatus experience.

Feel free to throw things at me but please make them chocolate or at least biscuits.

Here's what did happen during my hiatus:

–{{In April, I:

  • post, apologising for disappearing for three whole weeks. Ha ha. Hahahahaa. so cute.
  • volunteer at a comic-con. My plans of adding a Winter Soldier arm under my official T-shirt don't work out because I'm lazy. I get photos with a female Loki, a female Winter Soldier, a Gandalf, a Thranduil, and a Rey (who turns out to be my junior leader from a holiday outreach program last year). Gandalf gets the Runner Up: People's Choice award for doing the whole "you. shall not. PASS" thing. 
  • read a lot of fanfics, including some from fandoms I'm not even in. (The Miraculous Ladybug love square is just too hilarious, okay? I must have read literally a hundred identity reveal fics.)
  • watch season 2 of The Flash (leave the timeline aLONE, BARRY) and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. 
  • attempt to do Camp NaNo in 'minutes of study'. I fail.
  • [whoops]

–{{In May, I:

  • introduce my family to Owl City. Siblings love; parents are as yet unconvinced. Father is likely to stay that way. 
  • receive a letter from Jessica, which is awesome and so encouraging! 
     it's so pretty and she's such a beautiful person!
  • attend a program teaching people how to write resumes and apply for jobs. It is free. There is lots of food. I am satisfied. 
  • rewatch Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America: First Avenger and CA:WS. For Reasons.

–{{In June, I:

  • watch season 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man (ft. Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson and Stan Lee as Stan Lee the janitor. I am sold.), HP 1-3, Sherlock Holmes (the RDJ one), The Force Awakens (rewatch) and The Last Jedi (REYLO)
  • I also... uh... that is, I also... did.....
  • haha ha *dies* 
  • MOVING ON.

–{{In July, I:

  • have a proofreading job. The documents are only 2-4 pages long, but there's literally hundreds of them. 
  • watch HP 4-6 and The Greatest Showman (twice, with family; we now sing the songs constantly).
  • lead 12 six- and seven-year-olds (and two junior leaders) for three days at an outreach school holiday program. It is Intense. I am Exhausted. See Kenzie's post for her description of what seems to be an extraordinarily similar experience, despite us being in different programs in different countries. 
  • listen to a heap more Owl City. See, to start with, I'd been unsure whether I liked Owl City - the softer ones (Fireflies, Fuzzy Blue Lights, Vanilla Twilight), certainly, but it took me a little while to work up to the louder/more electronic ones (Dementia, Deer in the Headlights, Gold, etc).  
  • google in response to my brother asking who Matthew Thiesson (credited on Ocean Eyes) is; I discover that he's in Relient K. I've heard of them before, but - for the same reasons as above - Be My Escape had been the only one I could handle. Now, though, Owl City's got me used to more 'rock' (I suppose?) music, and Relient K is my go-to for music when I'm in less peaceful moods. 
  • got a new cousin! Still haven't seen her awake yet...
  • read fanfics focusing on Darcy Lewis. She's long gone from the MCU, I know... but I love a good "Darcy Lewis, Scientist Wrangler" fic. And if it progresses to "Avenger Wrangler", I won't say no. But another definite highlight of these stories was discovering the phrase "because Science." I now use that phrase a lot. For Science! or simply Science! works too. See: 

    Darcy considers herself the voice of reason to Jane's starry-eyed love of science even though it involves less destruction than Tony's brand of science. I have appointed myself to this position regarding my sciencey siblings. They didn't know they needed it, but they do.

–{{In August, I:

  • continue proofreading. 
  • embroider a shirt for a friend's birthday. She'd seen me in mine and asked for her own. Whether she was joking or not, this is what she got:
  • watch HP 7-8, season 1 of The Mentalist (fascinating, but strong content warnings), and Les Miserables (the one with Hugh Jackson; strong content warnings; I couldn't really get into it until the second half? but by the end I cried.)
  • finish my TAFE! It was a Cert IV in Library and Information Studies, eighteen months long, and now I just have to knock on the library's door a bit more. Eventually they'll realise they really really want me working there. (Honestly, though, it's the council [they're in charge of hiring] which I have to get past; the library staff know me pretty well and I believe they wouldn't mind having me at all.

WELL. There's waaay more information about my life than you ever cared to hear, I'm sure. Consider it a "monthly recap" recap. (It could have been worse. I could have done a post for each month I was gone.)
........

Now, before you ask: I did read books. I just haven't written them here because I feel like I'm already straining your patience and good humour I'm on Goodreads! So if you want to know what I've been reading, head over there.

Also: September's been off to a pretty good start! No more TAFE... and I watched Thor: Ragnarok. So Loki. Much pleased. Very wow. (You may have noticed already, but my gif collection has exploded.)
........

So. What have you been doing? Have you seen Ragnarok? How much writing have you done in the last four months?? Do you read fanfiction? (I used to be snobby... but there's some really good stuff. Can be hard to find among all the rest, though.) Have you ever been in charge of a dozen small children you only just met (and had to do craft with them)??

Children can be intimidating in large numbers. 
Also exhausting.

26 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Sounds like you've been pretty busy! I remember the first time I saw the Les Mis movie - it was a massive extended family outing and my aunty and her friend were balling their eyes out from pretty much beginning to end!! I read some fanfiction myself. Not all the time, but usually as a means of easing the withdrawal symptoms when I finish a really good book or series. And, as for small children, in my second last year of high school I did this Big Sister / Little Sister program - taking care of ONE at a time was enough!! (I don't know how you did it...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca!

      I hardly ever cry for books or movies, so my reaction at the ending of Les Mis did surprise me a little. And YES, when I finish a really good story, I definitely binge fanfiction in an attempt to make the end a little more gradual.

      Your Big Sister/Little Sister program sounds cool! I reckon it would have been harder than my twelve kids, though... I had three intense four-hour days, but I'd guess your program was long-term? which would have different responsibilities and strains (and rewards!). I'd love to hear more about how it worked!

      Delete
  2. I agree that children are both intimidating and exhausting. Also confusing.
    Glad to see you back on the blogosphere, and your use of MCU gifs is splendid. Sounds like you had an interesting summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are crazy. And fascinating. And very exhausting.

      Well, it was winter here (being on the bottom of the world and all)... but it was an interesting time! ;) Glad to be back, Sarah - now if I can just get my act together long enough to settle in again... ;P

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! Wow, you’ve had a busy four months. (but the Loki GIFs were incredible and fitting, of course #gloriouspurpose)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt busier than it sounds... and got waaay less done. (#GLORIOUSPURPOSE Honestly, I'm not convinced any of my posts are complete without a Loki gif. Although an argument could be made that a nice combination of sassy Tony/epic Bucky/Clint-being-Clint gifs, among others, could be used in the absence of an appropriate Loki one?)

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, so that's what the elusive Jem has been up to! How fun!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The elusive Jem." I like that, Catherine! Makes me feel... mythical. And epic. ;P

      Delete
  5. Yay for being done with TAFE!! Congrats on getting through it. *high fives*
    I honestly haven't been doing much other than school (thankfully Year 12 is almost over...) and rewriting Golden Revenge. My brain decided it might be fun to rewrite half the book and see if it becomes any better. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives* I'm so glad it's over - it was not as exciting as I thought it would be!

      Focusing on Grade 12 is a solid reason for not doing much else! Especially if you're rewriting Golden Revenge. (I'm super-curious now as to what's going to be different from the version I read!)

      Delete
  6. Um, who are you and why are you showing up in my blogger feed???

    Jk, missed you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (sTRANGER DANGER no wait this is the internet, we're all strangers xP) Missed you too, Ivie! (hope you're enjoying your September hiatus and getting all refreshed and inspired!)

      Delete
  7. WELCOME BACK!!!! Sounds like you had fun while you were gone, yes?
    AH, I love Reliant K! My dad really likes them, so I grew up listening to their music. "Be My Escape" was my favorite song for a while. I also really like "More Than Useless" and... a bunch of other ones. (Funfact: there's a hidden track after the last song on their album "Two Left's Don't Make a Right...but three do". It's utter nonsense about pizza and silly shoes. It's great fun.) I also quite like Owl City.
    HA! That shirt is awesome.
    Ugh. Barry. Please leave the timeline alone.
    So happy that you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly had fun, Erik... mostly. *ominous music*

      I love how quirky and random some of Reliant K's song titles are?? like the one you mentioned, or "The Only Thing Worse Than Beating a Dead Horse is Betting On One" - titles like that.

      Thanks! I enjoyed making it. :)

      BARRY, MESSING WITH THE TIMELINE HAS CAUSED NOTHING BUT TROUBLE SO FAR. (except it did bring back Hartley? who I barely remember, but it could work out well?)

      Delete
  8. Yay! You're back! My blogger feed has been lacking in Marvel gifs as of late. I am now satisfied.

    Looks like you've had a filled past few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sarah. I have shirked my duty. *rolls up sleeves* *opens gifs folder* No longer...

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that shirt!! It looks so professional and so great too. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks, Jane! when's your birthday, I can make you one. xD

      Delete
  10. SCIENCE

    My new answer to everything. Thank you. (Also the science gif-set describes my work place 100% which is kinda scary when you think about it.)

    CONGRATS on your TAFE!!!

    Also, that shirt is amazing!! #goals #thoughIcantdoanythingwithsewingtosavemylife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wHOA Julian, where do you work?? Because that's not kinda scary, that's... plain scary. xP (Does it come with Iron Man, tho.) And SCIENCE is my go-to reaction for, well, a lot of conversations with my family now...

      THANKS! And thanks again!(normally I'm a nope on sewing as well? but embroidery, I can do enough to look fancy. xD)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you were pretty busy! Love that shirt! :D
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness all of the Loki GIFs!!!! I am in heaven. XD Loki is one of my favorite Marvel characters (which is weird cause before I watched the Thor's, I never really understood the hype??) BUT HE IS AMAZING AND HILARIOUS. XD He's the perfect comic relief, tbh.

    Also WHOA. No wonder you haven't been blogging! You've been BUSY!!! That comic con sounds absolutely fantastic (I've never been to a comic con... :(( I want to remedy that, though. XD ) and oh my goodness. XD THE GANDALF. THEY SOUND ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. XD To be honest, though, I would totally do the YOU!!! SHALL NOT!!! PAAASSS!!! thing if I ever got to dress up as Gandalf. That would be the highlight of my life, probably. XD

    Owl city is the BEEEEST!!! I absolutely love the song Fiji Water. 10/10 recommend. And also Be Brave... And the one about heroes and capes.... (Not All Heroes Wear Capes, I think.) And oh my goodness!! You MADE that shirt??? Jem!!! That is AMAZING!!!

    Also CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR TAFE!!! *flings cookies and chocolates at your face* I am so so glad you are back on the blogosphere!! <333

    (ALSO YOU LINKED TO MY POST ASDFGHJKLASDFGHJKL!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki is such a lovely complex character wHO GETS SUCH GOOD LINES TOO. He improves any movie he's in by like 72.9% and he is not allowed to be actually dead this time (we are talking Loki, so... not dead).

      The comic con was hardly a giant thing - it was set up by the local council and library - but HEY, with support, it'll grow. And it was super fun regardless! Also, everyone should be Gandalf at once in their life, I'm thinking. (I'll be Frodo and scream NOOOO for your Gandalf if you'll do the same for me when it's my turn to be Gandalf?? [even if I'm far too tall for a hobbit])

      OWL CITY. Once I was at the bank for work and they were playing Not All Heroes Wear Capes?? I was [disproportionately?] excited. I JUST GET EXCITED WHENEVER OWL CITY GETS RECOGNITION (I'm still a new fan and want to share! with! everyone!)

      OF COURSE I LINKED TO YOUR POST KENZIE, YOU'RE AMAZING AND HILARIOUS and not enough of my followers follow your blog, oBVIOUSLY I'M THE BEST, BUT YOU'RE THE SECOND BEST, THEY SHOULD BE THERE TOO. xP

      Delete
  13. Aw,you're so sweet! I'm glad you liked the letter. :) It sounds like you've been busy! Congratulations on finishing TAFE! I know what you mean about actually getting a job with the library though - I've applied a few times with no success. But I don't have specific qualifications for the job, so hopefully you'll be able to walk right into one. :)

    Oh, do you have a favourite song from The Greatest Showman? My sister and I can't stop singing 'Rewrite the Stars' and 'A Million Dreams,' haha. And good on you for assuming care of a bunch of small children, I can see how that would be positively exhausting. I babysat one child for a day this week, and I'm still recovering, haha. XD Good job with the embroidery too! You are a person of many talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading what you've written - in the letter or on your blog - is always uplifting, Jessica! :)

      Honestly, I took the TAFE course just so they had less reason to say no... eventually they're not going to be able to turn me down. ;P

      "A Million Dreams" is probably my favourite too! And "The Other Side" is fun (even if my mother literally gasped when she saw the shots bit... I have no idea about alcohol, so I didn't realise it was so bad!) But the song's super fun. And the other songs are all awesome too, but some of them have so many parts that they're too hard to sing, so that obviously bumps them down the favourites list. xD

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))