Sunday 5 April 2020

character interview | part 3 and final

Gooood morning! (or evening, or whatever the Order of the Time Zones has decreed shall be where you are) I pray you're all well, wherever you are, and having an actually-quite-good day. 

Unlike my characters.

((Entirely coincidental shoutout to Kenzie for the hours she spent planning a murder with me when I got stuck on day 3 of April Camp! Three Sisters thanks you... although the sisters themselves don't.))

Remember all those questions you asked over two years ago? There are just enough left after Part 2 for a rapid-fire finale to the character interview!



Jem: Welcome, everyone! Thank you all for being here - in the comfort of your own homes, of course! For the finale, I have: Billie, Elsie, Josie and Zephyr! Present but with no questions to their names are Count Laszlo/the Beast, Rowan and Kik. I'm sure they're very disappointed?

Kik: Yes.

Rowan: No.

Count Laszlo: I feel that the position of viewer may be the safest option, so...

Kik: I want my five minutes of fame.

Rowan: You got a heroic moment in the draft, at the village, remember?

Kik: ...we lost, so no, I don't remember anything about that at all, how odd. Definitely was never at that village ever in my life.

Jem: Annnd let's move on to the questions!




Brooklyne: Billie, besides, protecting your sisters, what is one thing that keeps you motivated?

Billie: ...spite. Spite, bitterness, resentment, holding grudges. That thing. It is excellent motivation.

Rowan: I can confirm she's scarily good at it.

Billie: Nothing says "I don't care about you or your stupid opinion" like refusing to listen and then succeeding in life.

Billie: Also, people who break into houses and tie the occupants up? they don't get to comment on their victim's resentment. 

Jem: Don't forget, you two... you're a ship going to have to learn to get along at some point. Probably when I force you to spend a lot of time together.

Rowan:
 

Kik: I ship it.

Rowan: do you want to lose your place in the Hood's Men



Grace: Zephyr, who in your friend group would be the most likely to eat the last cookie?

Zephyr: Back before they moved to the forest, Isobel and Josephine would have fought over it. Now, however, I would name Josephine clearly most likely to win the cookie.

Josie: sometimes I let Elsie have it. because she's the one supplying the cookies biscuits.

Elsie: Josie doesn't bake.

Billie: I don't fight for it because I'm the oldest.

Elsie: Billie doesn't bake either.

Billie: My talents lie in other areas. Like being Responsible and the Adult and Acting Like I Know What I'm Doing. And holding grudges. I do that for all of us.


Brooklyne: Elsie, how often do you agree with Billie?

Elsie: Most of the time, I suppose? She's done a good job at keeping us safe even when there aren't many options. I'm relieved I haven't had to make some of the decisions she's had to deal with. Josie disagrees with her more - their personalities are too similar in some ways.


Melissa: Josie, if you could travel anywhere, where?

Josie: Why stop anywhere short of the world? There are such a lot of interesting places. I'd start with Everon,* though, so Zephyr could show me the places people don't normally see.

Jem: *Everon being a placeholder name for Zephyr's country because my dignity can only handle announcing "[Zephyr's country name goes here]" to the world so many times before it shrivels into a little ball and refuses to participate in the writing process! It may or may not be taken straight from "The road goes ever on and on..."


Nicole: Zephyr, if you could go back and change one event, what would it be?

Zephyr: I would not have left Elsabeth's side eight months ago. That was not long before she and her sisters were attacked and believed dead. For their sake and my own, I would have chosen to be there with them.


Brooklyne: Josie, if you could have one wish granted, what would it be?

Josie: There are so many POSSIBILITIES. I could wish to be the best archer ever! or to travel the world! or for my father to get an astoundingly itchy rash! or to be able to grant wishes!

Laszlo: Or you could wish that I had not taken your sister?

Josie: .....she's fine, she's right here.

Billie:
 

Elsie: I'd wish that we could safely go home.

Josie: But Ell, it's much more exciting away from the city!


Brooklyne: And how old are the three of you?

Jem, internally:


Elsie: we're not actually sure

Jem: *forced smile* Elsie's twenty-two. Ish.

Josie: I think I'm around nineteen?

Billie: I'm old enough to know better.

Jem, tiredly: she's twenty-three. probably.

Billie: Now ask what colours our eyes and hair are, go on.

Jem: Don't ask that.

Billie: Hair, it's blonde or brown. Elsie might be blonde? maybe?

Elsie: I had the Cinderella story thread, so probably.

Jem: that's quite enough, I didn't ask for you to be so... meta.

Billie: and as for the colour of our eyes-

Jem: aaand that's it for the interview!

• • • • • • •

The characters of Three Sisters thank you for your questions, your interest, and your patience. Kik in particular would like to thank you all for the unexpected interest, and has enjoyed his time stealing the spotlight wherever possible.

I think I'm close to finishing the first draft of Three Sisters?? maybe?? so that's exciting. I have no idea what the ending is though. so that's more exciting. Is there death?? revolution?? food?? swordfighting?? cats?? who knows, certainly not me. Currently I'm simply trying to decide if my villain gets to live or die... living makes more sense, but then how am I supposed to get her out of the way?? *locks her in a tower and forgets about her* (actually.....?)
• • • • • • •
How are you all? anyone sick? I'm really not concerned for myself, but I pray my grandparents don't get COVID-19. Can I pray for any of you, or your families?

The serious stuff aside, who's enjoying their enforced holiday at home? *raises hand* It's great and I've been getting so much done!!

...aha, yeah, no, I haven't gotten a lot done, but I have caught up with some stuff! Like a couple of craft projects, some letters, a handful of my TBR, and some casual piano playing; my family just planted a bunch of stuff in the veggie patch; and I'm hoping to give Camp NaNo a decent sort of shot for once. don't look at my stats.

Quarantine - what have you been doing? Do you think it will help you focus on Camp?? Tell me about your Camp projects! and also how many words you're aiming for, so I can shame myself into acTuAlly WrITiNg.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I get to hear more from the Three Sisters characters!! I've been wondering how you were going with your writing so yayyyyyy for almost being finished with the draft! You've got this! Crush that wordcount (metaphorically!)!

    My family and I are all well, thank you. <3 <3 I hope your family stays healthy and enjoys this enforced holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Three Sisters characters are also glad to see the light of day again... (there was a time they got kinda neglected.) Thank you!!

      I'm glad to hear you're all well, Melissa - my family's good and yes, enjoying the time home!

      Delete
  2. NOOOOOOOO!!!! I don't want these interviews to be over!!! I devoured them in one sitting and now I don't know what to do with myself.... *curls up on the floor in existential crisis*

    BUT ANYWAY. I am still so beyond excited for this book, AND YOU MIGHT BE ALMOST DONE WITH THE FIRST DRAFT!!!! ASDFGHJKL JEM, THAT'S AMAZING!!!! I am so excited for you!!! Definitely going to stalk your NaNo stats after this. :D (i'm horrible, i know. XD) Also, I really love how Zephyr talks?? Not sure why... There's this sort of lilt and cadence to the way he speaks, and it makes me want to read more about him. XD

    ALSO!! ALSO ALSO!! I'm doing Camp NaNo!!! (you know this) Thus far I've written about 7,000 words, I want to say? I'm not entirely sure anymore. XD I forgot to add my new words last night, so my wordcount is probably going to be a little messed up from here on out. BUT MOVING ON FROM THAT. . . I've also used the quarantine to write some letters! ...I just can't send them because they're big and I have to go to the post office and I CAN'T. It's a very annoying predicament I'm in. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pats you on the head* *whispers* we could do a collab interview, Kenzie...

      I MIGHT BE NEARLY FINISHED! or not ahaha the characters keep surprising me! (I wrote Zephyr with the idea that he had a different first language, but the most I could figure out was that he'd probably not do contractions?? and I wasn't sure how he came across so it's good to hear you like it!)

      I'm doing better in NaNo than I EVER have before (three days of 1k+ in a row??) and I blame that on quarantine xD You got the letters sorted, right?

      Delete
  3. AHHHH! You're almost done with Three Sisters!!!! SO EXCITING!!!!! If you need someone to hover over you and pressure you to finish it up, I'm totally your gal!

    I've been doing more of the same during QT. Enjoying not having to leave the house as much. Still, I'm hopeful that it'll all be over soon. The extroverts in my family are driving me up a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MIGHT be almost done! which is exciting and also terrifying! Thanks for the offer, Sarah - I might need that xD

      ooh, I hadn't thought about what it would be like to be quarantined with extroverts! Hopefully it will be over soon - although the news we're getting from the US is Not Good?? you all still okay?

      Delete
  4. "What is one thing that keeps you motivated?" "...spite."
    This was so entertaining to read! Your characters sound wonderful. :)
    Also, "How old are the three of you?" "We're not actually sure." I RELATE. Interrogation of characters is somewhat terrifying because that's when you realize the things you don't actually know about them.
    I wish you the best of luck with this project!
    As an extreme introvert, staying at home is totally fine with me, but it is difficult for my sisters. I'm not worried about getting sick but I don't want to pass it on to anyone who is high risk, so that's the only worrisome thing. Thankfully my grandparents have been really great about quarantining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY, Wheels.
      "How old is she?" "What colour are her eyes?" "What's her favourite colour?"
      Me: *scrunches up character questionnaire and pegs it out the window*

      SAME. I'm completely fine with staying home (except I miss the library!), and I'm not worried for myself, but grandparents etc is a different story. I hope your family's all still okay?

      Delete
  5. I love Billie so much!! What's the story about? This was hilarious to read. Spite is an excellent motivation! I hope I can read one of your stories some day :-)

    I'm aiming for 50,000 words so far, though I'm not sure if I'm going to actually be able to pull it off. I'm writing a retelling of a certain Arthurian legend right now (about Gareth and Lynet, and how Lynet found a knight to save her sister, even though tbh he's kind of a lovable moron and also he has disguised himself as a servant for...reasons??), and it's surprisingly fun so far? Even though the writing is really bad? I'm enjoying it! So far I'm at 11,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I'm kind of glad someone else doesn't really know their characters' exact ages and sometimes hair and eye colors? Because age is always the part that I NEVER HAVE PINNED DOWN. I usually know the hair and eye colors, but...definitely not always. Heh.

      Delete
    2. Welcome, Becky! It's nice to meet you. (I think I've seen you over on Kenzie's blog?)

      Three Sisters started life as a Beauty and the Beast retelling, with other fairy tales woven in, although they aren't particularly noticeable now. Billie and her younger sisters are living anonymously in the forest, but when a hunt goes wrong and a Beast takes Billie, she can't stop their past catching up with them. Old enemies, new family, and sarcastic acquaintances come together *trails off into mumbles* ...in a big full-cast scene I'm still trying to figure out.

      ^^ This is in no way an official synopsis. xD

      Your Camp project sounds fun! ("for Reasons" is entirely valid. xD) And as long as you're enjoying your project, that's all that matters at this point!! *gives you motivational lamingtons*

      Delete
    3. As far as age goes, when I was younger my MCs were always... my age?? so they kept growing. xD (And as for physical description, it and I don't get along...)

      Delete
  6. I love Billie's #sodone attitude ngl XD

    ReplyDelete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))