Sunday 30 August 2020

One Quirk Later #4


Allo allo allo! It’s already time for our next Quirk, guys. Are you surprised? Because I am. Where did August go.

I’m kind of nervous about this one, to be honest, because I actually put it together several weeks ago and have since been just. staring at it. And a brilliant idea has not yet whacked me in the face. NO PRESSURE OR ANYTHING, JEM.

But hey! What’s life for if not taking risks. hahahaaa no one ever accused me of taking THAT as my motto. 

(...Every one of those pictures tickles my fancy, though?? why is my brain not jumping up and down saying "OOH OOH PICK ME"?? rude.)

One Quirk Later: Prompt #4

(Individual pictures can be found on my Pinterest boards b. heist, f. dialogue and b. conflict)

With the Quirks, I’m trying to cover a range of tones and provide opportunity for a variety of genres. This one looks like dystopian to me… which is not a genre I usually write. But it could, of course, be any other genre you so desired! Put a twist on it! Combine dystopian with heist! Go with whatever plot bunny first pops into your head! I will read them all and applaud.

• • • • • • •

To join in with this madness:

  1. Write whatever this picture prompt inspires you to!
  2. Post it on your blog! (Unless you prefer to keep it private, which is fine too.)
  3. Link back to this post—and there's a link-up image, too, if you'd like to use that.

  4. Comment on one of my posts so I can come and read your amazing writing!!
  5. And I'll list your links the next post. :D

You have a fortnight before I put up the next post with my story, at which point... uh... nothing will happen. It's not a deadline, I don't have the heart for that. xD You can use any Quirk at any time!

• • • • • • •

The last Quirk inspired stories in a few of you:


Go and reeeead them!

• • • • • • •

So who writes dystopian? Or are you a fantasy-only writer? Maybe you write stories that are *gasp* NOT speculative fiction??

What has life been up to for you? I hope you're all keeping well in these odd times, and still have your job, if that's a thing for you! 

I've been working solo shifts at a nursery and there is nothing as peaceful as pottering around plants all day. Even for people with a semi-brown thumb. 

The only time it's not peaceful? when you grab a pot and there's a huntsman on it and you grab the huntsman.

Now, I grew up in an unlined shed-house, and there were huntsmen there. We called them Harry, Larry, Barry, and Gary. (Gary was grey. The rest got to share names.) They quite often sat on the walls beside the toilet at night... I recall once there was a huntsman on one wall and a scorpion on the other. But. That doesn't mean I'm happy to grab one when I haven't realised it's there. 

Do you have spiders like this? Do you believe the story that giant spiders in fantasy can be traced back to Tolkien? (the popular story is that he was bit by a tarantula as a child, but apparently he did say in a letter that one of his kids was particularly scared of spiders, so he put them in for that.) Would you give a spider warm hugs?

Annnd I'm probably far enough off topic, so I'll wrap up with the usual: Join in, I'd love to see what this Quirk sparks in you! And if you'd like to see a prompt focused towards a certain genre/tone/etc, tell me!

Have a great fortnight, friends. <3

4 comments:

  1. I would give a spider warm hugs...they deserve it <3

    I might have a few ideas for this?? Hopefully? I kind of want to try something vaguely sci-fi, but who knows if this will work out. I've never done sci-fi before, much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the spiders are now being redirected to your address, Becky, thank you for offering. xP

      I'd love to read your new experiences in sci-fi! *throws encouraging lamingtons at you*

      Delete
  2. I totally support spiders and their work...just not...crawling on me. The other day I looked down and found one crawling on the back of my hand, and it was just a little guy, maybe the size of my thumbnail, but I was still like "WHOA, WHOA WHY ARE YOU HERE."
    Ooh, I'm excited about this prompt! I mean...I don't have IDEAS or anything, but I can feel the flint in my mind working hard to create some creative sparks when I look at these pictures, so I have hope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, same, Erik! I'm not scared of spiders?? but it is RUDE to crawl on someone without warning. (Especially if you are hairy and/or moving fast.)

      I hope the flint in your mind has sparked a few ideas... ;)

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))