Monday 31 January 2022

he takes responsibility seriously, croakay? | Quirk #9

Remember, if you will, how I said I had Ideas for this Quirk prompt but wouldn't say in case I went a different direction? 

Yeah. I went a completely different direction. I was surprised too but seeing as the other directions gave me nothing I wasn't unhappy about it.


 

I woke up again.

I didn’t expect that, not really. I mean, I thought I’d eventually wake up—I always do—but I thought after all this time it might be for a new reason. Perhaps a different house would call me. That could be nice.

But no. Even though last time I was awake my house looked as though one good thump against its side would let it shiver into a heap of debris, it is, somehow, occupied again. Not that I can see anyone from my vantage point, but there’s some kind of music coming from inside, too deliberate to be anything but human.

Better check what my responsibilities are this time.

I lever myself out of my watering can—excellently placed beneath a frequent morning dripping, I hope my new charges feel no urge to either use the watering can or fix the gutter—and head for the back door. The gap underneath is tighter than I remember, and I have to squirm.

Residents would get so much more help if they’d just install a little toad-shaped door. Even a tiny cat flap would do, although it’s less dignified. “Yes, I want to come in, let me just hit this door with my head!” A lot of cats’ spite comes from their inability to grasp with those paws, just saying.

Finally inside, and the tiles are surprisingly free of dust. Now I’m in the house I can feel that my new charges have been here several days already.

…The house woke me up, yes, but I may have overslept a tad.

I plop across the kitchen and into the hall. There aren’t many rooms, which is possibly why the new residents are settled at the end of the hallway, their piano edging into the doorway of what was—last time I was awake—a study.

I blink twice.

These two are tadpoles.

Well, only one is tiny. Her face is smooth and round. The other is large, shoulders curled around her. He has little lines between his eyes and around his mouth, but they’re at odds with his young face. The pair match in their eyes and the shape of their ears and the curve of their fingers stretching on the piano.

The male plays sounds like birdsong. The female plays plink-plonk-plop noises. His face stretches wide in a smile at her playing, but not as wide as mine. I rather like her playing. It sounds friendly.

I’ve never had unsupervised tadpoles. But I suppose I’ve had worse charges.

There will be challenges. Either my guidance and luck will swim them safely through, or I will try harder. There will be no choking on air for these tadpoles. I refuse. Either they will stay, or they will leave for a more favourable home. Sooner or later, of course, their time here will be complete, and I will sleep again, waiting for the next. I always do. But I’ll survive.

 magically-appointed house guardian amphibians, amiright

Also sorry if there are any silly mistakes, I normally do several more read-through edits but this time the thing didn't get written until Sunday evening after the post was supposed to go up. My ideas weren't coming to anything and so the terrifying Procrastination turned  up, disguised as novels and cleaning my room Duolingo.

• • • • •

Some people, however, defeated the terrifying Procrastination, and sweet-talked the Muse, and gave up on the Muse and headed for the twins of Dedication and Hard Work (having, however, "borrowed" the Muse's pet plot bunnies), and they have written a Quirk!

And it's so very nice to see all the regulars here again <3 (Thank you all for sharing your very munchable crunchable delicious story snacks, my hungry little heart is very happy.)

• • • • •

I haven't. read any blog posts in forever, up to and including before and after my last post, so I feel immensely guilty whenever I think about it? and of course, because I am Fully Functional TM, I get the corresponding urge to just. Never open my blog. Which isn't helpful so I'm going to have to work on that and possibly also my time management (but what else is new, eyyy). Don't tune your set, folks, we're just going through some character development.

Also I mayyy have not written this Quirk until Sunday night. But I am loving Sarah Seele's very kind description of me as a Gandalf whose hobbit friends are pleased to see him even if he's a little... unpredictable in his schedules (and may disappear for years at a time). It's such a nice thought and I'm fully anticipating living up to the Powerful But Likes To Not Explain Things (And Use Being Old As An Excuse For Doing What You Want) character type, just as soon as I can figure out how to be powerful. 

Also, according to the comments on the last post, it seems that the majority of us are, at heart, an old lady from a fairytale. Some of us would be kind and sweetly supportive and some of us (*cough* me) would be there to tell the hero why he's making the wrong choices and what he should be doing and did he even comb his hair, is he rescuing a princess or a stray dog, honestly.

What's been happening that I definitely should know about? Do you deal with responsibilities by ignoring the feelings of guilt? (Procrastination! it's a powerful drug.) Have you read all of these Quirks yet? (No? why not?? clickity click yourself away! ...comment here first, then clickity click yourself away xD) Where would you fall on the Old Lady scale of sweet to crotchety? Do you ever amuse yourself by thoroughly cleaning your room, and do you think it's possible to procrastinate by writing Quirks (because I think I need this)? 

Oh also! have you seen Shang-Chi, please scream with me about how fun it is.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, that was adorable! I love this magical frog spirit already. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Love. This. Quirk. That toad is the sweetest and most crotchety house guardian ever, but I have a feeling that the tadpoles are in good hands. :)

    (I do sometimes deal with responsibilities by ignoring guilt. I definitely relate. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Sam, the tadpoles are definitely in good (although froggy-fingered) hands! xD

      Delete
  3. Awwwwwwww, look at the dear young whippersnappers. I must bake them some cookies and knit them some sweaters. (I mean, I'm like this sometimes, but sometimes I'm more the sassy-granny-who-yells-marginally-helpful-instructions-at-the-hero-and-also-tap-dances kind of old lady.)
    But back to the QUIRK though. I adore this amphibian house guardian and how determined it is to take care of these TADPOLES who I ALSO adore. The bit about the toad-shaped door and the cat flaps was quite good XD And the contrast of the two tadpoles' piano playing <3
    I know too well the feeling of coming back to blogging after a long interval of not setting foot in the blogosphere and I should write some posts, yes? But also I should read some posts, but okay there have been way too many posts since I was last here and I need to read ALL of them and will feel Guilty until I do, so what if we just sneak out the backdoor and hide in the garden shed...
    I just watched Shang Chi last week! It was quite fun--and also angsty...which is often synonymous with fun for an angst-loving-writer-goblin, such as myself. (Charles and I were like, "...he has an angstier backstory than Batman" XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dear young whippersnappers will play the piano while you tap dance, Sassy Grandma Erik. (Is Magneto a sassy grandma himself? possibly.)

      YES. It's unreasonable but impossible to stop from feeling guilty, right? Is there room in your garden shed, can I hide there with you and pretend I don't see any responsibilities... xD

      Fun and angsty are uh frequently hand in hand xD Shaun was such a cinnamon roll for such an angsty story though!! (does that improve the angst? why possibly)

      Delete
  4. Aww that was such a lovely story!! The tadpole description was adorable, as was the difference between the two piano playing <3

    WASN'T SHANG CHI AMAZING?? I love the martial art style of fighting as opposed to the usual Marvel fighting. And his friend (I forget her name lol) is too hilarious XD XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisha! And yes, the martial arts was sO COOL. I'm sure I've seen some form of martial arts in movies before, but this one was just. so smooooth. And yes Katy was an absolute cinnamon roll and they were a pair of dorks xD

      Delete
  5. I love this! We all need amphibious house guardians in our lives. My eyes have been opened. Also these kids are so sweet. Even though we only get a glimpse of them we want to love them and care for them as the lovely amphibious house guardian does.
    I love the idea of you as Gandalf. It's so fitting. Sarah Seele really nailed that one. ;)
    Procrastination is a powerful drug indeed. Oi.
    As Erik mentioned above, we did watch Shang-Chi! And I liked it more than I thought I was going to. Mostly because of the Angst and Trauma, because I am somewhat partial to that sort of thing. But also the fight scenes were just so fun to watch? I've always loved how martial arts is kind of like dancing just as much as it is fighting.
    Thank you as always for the Quirk inspiration, Jem! I love participating in this prompt series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU get an amphibious house guardian! and YOU get an amphibious house garden!

      I love the idea of me as Gandalf too, it's so much more flattering than reality xD

      The Shang-Chi martial arts fight scenes were sO FUN, and so different! Yesss how it looked like dancing, and how they echoed that with Shaun and his dad!

      Thank you, as always, for participating, Charles! <3

      Delete
  6. Ooooh yay!! (Not surprising. You always give out great quirks. :) )

    Can't wait to join.

    (*Owl gets red velvet cake now*)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faramir! (But also. Are you trying to tempt my owl away?? how do you have such a great cake selection, it's impressive 😂)

      Delete
  7. So I think he overslept because the rules of the magic are that the house calls him when it becomes owned by new people, but these tadpoles maybe don't technically "own" it in...the full...legal...sense? but "possession is nine-tenths of the law" applies to magical laws too, so maybe the house only called nine-tenths as loudly. Anyway. I love this. Extremely much. I need more about this amphibious guardian and his tadpoles and the dangers they will doubtless get themselves into, being but tadpoles in a world of fishes and frogs and scary birds.
    Just. The vibes.
    I love it.
    (Can it be a sequel to Three Sisters?? Somehow?? I'm sure amphibious house guardians can be worked into some sort of fairytale retelling with some sort of ease. Okay I'm desperate but it's just COOL and I wants more precious)

    And I SAW SHANG-CHI! I'm not even a big Marvel fan, but it was such FUN. The martial arts. Katie. The fact that he was actually a WORSE person (in his backstory) than you thought at first. I just love that kind of twist. And SO MUCH ANGST. And fun fantasy stuff that they just had FUN with! It was a grand old time.

    Also, yep, ignoring guilt is how I deal with responsibilities. I mean, it works as well as anything...right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that's a brilliant reason, Sarah - because these tadpoles definitely don't quiiite own the house (that didn't make it into the story but you picked it up anyway??). I hadn't thought of that as causing a delay in the house calling him, but it makes so much sense, so that's now what happened. xD

      (Three Sisters? uhhh sure why not xD Actually I have no idea how that would work but a) I'm flattered you liked this story so much; and b) I'm flattered you remember Three Sisters bc honestly it's been a while since I mentioned it [reasons: guilt, mostly xD]. So I don't usually write sequels but I will keep this particular one in mind xD)

      YES Shang-Chi just felt incredibly fun!! ...fun with angst!! It felt really different to other Marvel movies, in my opinion, even though it had guest visits from really big names in the Marvel world. Definitely a grand old time!

      Ignoring responsibilities and the consequent guilt is definitely the way to go! we're fine! ahahaaaa!

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))