Monday 14 February 2022

One Quirk Later #10 || a short post to match February (?)


So I thought "oh, this is the tenth Quirk prompt?? wow, I've probably passed a year of Quirks now!" Leaving aside, of course, the fact that fully half the time I've missed posting. So I checked my old posts and the very first Quirk (labeled "oh no I have done a thing") was in May 2020??

When even was May 2020. 

This month's prompt is fairly... urban? I know some of mine lean towards fantasy (that's my bias), but hopefully this one can be used for contemporary, mystery, dystopian, and/or anything really. 

Will I still give mine fantasy elements? Who can say. But it's definitely a non-zero chance.

Drumroll, please:

One Quirk Later: Prompt #10


please admire my Pinterest. Also I'm sorry if the Quirk is blurry!! I do not know what is wrong!

Hmm. The vibe is more shadowy this time around (or at least, not a colourful as August's burst of pink) but that doesn't necessarily mean the story has to have a dark vibe!

...of course, considering our mutual propensity for angst (*high-fives fellow Quirk writers*) there's still plenty of room for that vibe. 

Either angst or tired-and-so-done, that's what I'm thinking. 

Pretty standard for me, then.


To join in with this madness:

  1. Write whatever this picture prompt inspires you to!
  2. Post it on your blog!
  3. Link back to this post—and there's a link-up image, too, if you'd like to use that.
  4. Comment on one of my posts so I can come and read your amazing writing!!
  5. And I'll drop links to everyone's stories in the next post. (:

On the last Saturday of February (that's less than two weeks ahAHAHA this is fine) I will post my Quirk in response to this prompt. But you can use any Quirk prompt at any time! Just let me know if you do, so I can come and read it and squeal. 💛

Now, this has been incredibly short, but I'm already late, so.

How has the second month of 2022 been treating you so far? join me in absolutely not even realising Valentine's Day exists. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ What have you been writing? I have been writing very little, except the occasional suggestion for social media content for work! I need to change this! Which is half what I invented Quirks for, honestly. Join me in this. xD I also want to get back into writing to pen pals; I'm really intrigued by the pen pal ideas on Pinterest and Instagram - there's something about the combo of art and writing and sharing words of kindness and friendship that's really attractive (and also intimidating because I do not consider myself an Artist). Do you have any advice on exciting things which can go in envelopes to be posted internationally? 👀 What's the furthest pen pal you've written to? For me, I sent a letter to Japan once, but that was to my uncle's ex-girlfriend to thank her for the Japanese stamps she'd sent us (she was really nice. I wonder what she's up to now.) 

And isn't that an interesting thing to ponder? People who passed through your life, years ago, and it's no one's fault your spheres no longer collide but you wonder how they're going? I wonder if anyone sometimes thinks of me. Certainly there are people who come to my mind at odd little times, like those girls I made friends with at the park because I was tall enough for my age that I could help them climb into the big trees. The boy who, my mother says, liked me when he was ten. The workmate who had to quit and hunt for a better paying job when her partner lost his, and her teenage son who worked the same place and was loved by all the middle-aged and elderly ladies. The family who, when they splintered, were the first of those horrid little shocks telling me that life wouldn't always stay the same. The mother who always looked tired but smiled and taught us choir for years. That community of huge and interconnected families whose vibe is intensely nostalgic and I may have attempted to infuse into a Quirk.

Hm. Maybe instead of angst I should try for nostalgia again, one of these days.

• • • • • • •

Oh! also! Is there anything you'd like to see from the Quirks? I am always open to feedback! Unless your feedback is "Jem, you need more Quirks featuring cucumber and mustard sandwiches," in which case I am not open to feedback. 

If your feedback is "Jem, you need more Quirks featuring pineapple on pizza..."

...I'm listening.

10 comments:

  1. AHHHHH this prompt looks amazing, and I have NO idea what I'm going to do, but I have a feeling it's going to be different than usual. (Honestly, I already have some stuff in my head that's halfway song lyrics??? That would be a weird mode for a Quirk. We'll see.)

    ALSO. Having pen pals is the absolute best. I don't usually send mine much--we're more interested in what we're reading, what's going on in each other's lives, &c (my pen pals are my sister and an older friend of mine, currently) but it's always such a JOY to get one of their letters in the mail.

    But just off the top of my head, things that fit in envelops...stickers, cool pieces of paper, bookmarks, drawings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here's my Quirk! https://samsbookshire.blogspot.com/2022/02/february-wrap-up.html

      Delete
    2. Song lyrics?? That would be different and very cool! Can't wait to see what you ended up doing - I must pop over and read your Quirk now that I've written mine!

      Tis VERY important to know what people are reading, Sam, so that is a valid pen pal idea xD (It's really nice, too, that your sister is a pen pal! I feel like society doesn't encourage people to stay close to their siblings as they enter adulthood, and that's really sad to me. But I guess everyone didn't have good relationships with their siblings?? ...sorry, a bit of a tangent there xD)

      Delete
  2. This quirk looks interesting.

    (But then, certain events have forced me to push back the time when I finally make my blog. aaaaaAAAAAAAAAaahhh...)

    Well, good luck on this one (although I can hardly say that writing is tedious... for the first while, at least)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (And hello owl, sorry I forgot you for a moment eeps *~*)

      (hands over confetti cake)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Faramir! And life events do have a way of messing up plans, don't they! But I'm sure you'll get there and it will be the better for the wait. :D

      (...The owl has recognised you as a dedicated cake feeder. Ooh, confetti cake??)

      Delete
  3. *joyous fanfare for the new Quirk*
    When even was May 2020 indeed.
    *high-fives with enthusiasm, 'cause who doesn't love a nice bit of angst??*
    Making friends with someone on the basis of helping climb trees is undeniably wholesome.
    Anyhoo, here's my response to the quirk: https://allthingstrivialandinsignificant.wordpress.com/2022/02/25/one-quirk-later-10-a-sandwich-to-make-any-janitor-weep/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *basks in fanfare* *stops* *stares* who are youuuu x'D

      I know, right? I never saw those girls again, but we had fun for the time we were in the trees at the park xD

      Lovely lovely, Erik, I look forward to reading it! (Is there. angst. 👀 Angsty sandwich...?)

      Delete
  4. Yay, for the quirks! I love doing this so much, I hope you know.
    Haha, "maybe instead of angst I should try for nostalgia again, one of these days."
    What a concept. I should try that too.
    But did it happen this time?
    NOPE.
    Here is my response! Featuring much angst...
    https://thestorysponge.wordpress.com/2022/02/25/one-quirk-later-10-in-which-disaster-child-makes-horrendous-decisions-that-cousin-wouldnt-approve-and-i-go-crazy-with-the-angst/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Well, I love reading your Quirks so much, so it's a win-win situation, Professor xD

      No angst?? we couldn't possibly. no can do. the stars are not in the right place. nope. OOH LOVELY a disaster child with angst, yay! *devours* *...the story, not the child* *not a cannibal*

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))