Monday 7 March 2022

One Quirk Later #11 || the Voted Most Likely tag

Don't the months just fly around fast! 

Without further ado (and don't these intros seem to be getting short... may as well get to the good bit, I suppose), may I point you, o discerning guests and those without anything better to do on a fine Monday, towards the March Quirk prompt.

One Quirk Later: Prompt #11


  my Pinterest. if you don't follow me you should! I have some excellently-curated boards! too many boards! please help me!
 
Last time I thought "ah yes tired and angsty" but nO it was brothers trolling each other telepathically (don't steal other folks' ferns, people).

So who can say what will be happening when I write the Quirk for this prompt? *rubs hands together

 ...I'm sure I don't have any idea!!

To join in with this madness:

  1. Write whatever this picture prompt inspires you to!
  2. Post it on your blog!
  3. Link back to this post—there's the image up the top of the post, too, if you'd like to use that.
  4. Comment on one of my posts so I can come and read your amazing writing!!
  5. And I'll drop links to everyone's stories in the next post. (:

On the last Saturday of March I will post my Quirk in response to this prompt. But you can use any Quirk prompt (<= look, there's a bunch there!) at any time! Just let me know if you do, so I can come and read it and squeal. 💛

I try to vary the vibe and content of the Quirk prompts, but if there's anything you'd like to see or see more of in the future, let me know!

• • • • • • •

And I'm also going to do a tag! from... 2018! that's so long ago as to feel unreal, honestly. It looks like incredible fun, so I'm not sure why it got lost in my bookmarks for so long. 😅 

(In fact, looking back over the post I was tagged in, I promised in the comments that this had gone to the head of the line?? When will I learn. never make commitments ever because they immediately flee like a herd of cats and you can never round them up in time. or possibly ever.)

Voted Most Likely

“Choosing from among your own original characters, answer the below questions based on which character best suits the answer, then explain your choice.”

 . . . THE RULES . . .

Rule One . . . Thank the beautiful bloggerly chipmunk who tagged you. That would be the smudged chipmunk Kenzie!!

Rule Two . . . Link to Phoebe's original post.

Rule Three . . . Use your OWN original characters for the tag! Don’t use a friend’s characters or the characters from your favorite fandoms. Your characters can come from any project, just so long as you’re the one who created them. 

Rule Four . . . Tag at LEAST five bloggerly friends to do the tag, as well! mmm I flee this rule, usually, but we'll see how I go. xD

• • • • • • •

.....I'm actually going to just use Three Sisters characters for this tag. That might bring up some uncomfortable questions like "when did you last write in this WIP?" "why are you still in your second draft?" and "have your characters died from old age and neglect yet?"

But PFFFT. If I can escape their pitiful and/or judgemental looks, I can avoid questions about my responsibilities.

...if these characters are not ringing any bells, it's because I haven't talked about them for so long. Oops. Hopefully you can still follow along! Or spend the time daydreaming about which of your own characters would fit these situations, which is probably a better use of your time!

For example, you might realise something would be great in your story (e.g. "hey X totally sHOULD punch Y in the face!")


. . . The Tag . . .

 

. . . Most Likely to Be a Poet . . .

Prince Zephyr is a poet! Or... he would be if I could write poetry for him that didn't sound utterly sappy. Instead, I just have to be like "yes and Elsie still remembered the poetry he'd written for her! which was sensitive and thoughtful and not at all sappy!"

. . . Most Likely to Dance in the Rain . . .

Josie and Elsie. Josie's the kind to do wild things, and once she got Elsie over that initial hesitation, Elsie would enjoy the beauty of it. 

And then Elsie would be the one dealing with the mess afterwards.

. . . Most Likely to Look Good in a Kilt . . .

Kirk is my initial instinct. But I'm half convinced that's because I've mentally stereotyped him as a roguish bearded Scottish dude. Oops. 

While he'd be unlikely to wear a kilt (by which I mean "would exile you for suggesting it probably"), the current king would probably look good in a kilt. 

...I assume. 

......what are the necessary qualifications for looking good in a kilt. How does one judge that.

. . . Most Likely to Get Punched in the Face . . .

Rowan probably. By Billie. Admittedly, he did break into the house she was in and then—alarmed that it was not empty—tie her to a table leg.

Billie would also like to punch her father in the face, but even by the end of the story, she wouldn't have the nerve. He's a strong personality. And also planned her assassination. 

. . . Most Likely to Drop Everything and Become a Sheep Herder . . .

Count Yala, Zephyr's right hand man. I mean, he would never drop his responsibilities... but if Zephyr no longer needed him for some reason, boom, Yala would be gone. He likes the quiet life. He'd probably be a philosopher or something. 

He likes these crazy kids, okay, but there is so much drama. (He likes Elsie, but also he thinks Zephyr does not deserve Drama.)

. . . Most Likely to Be Found in the Library . . .

Count Laszlo/the Beast. I mean, he has his own study-slash-library. If you have a private library, you're required to spend at least five hours in it every day. I don't make the rules.

Also Prince Alexander, a character who turned up 3/4 of the way through my first draft like "Hi!! I am genuinely nice and also extremely necessary for the plot. Wanna bond over terrible parents?" I feel like he'd spend a lot of time in the library, studying, as heir to Empress Georgeanne.


. . . Most Likely to Sleep Through an Earthquake . . .

Josie, because she lives hard and sleeps with matching intensity. She's been running around outside all day, probably. She's a teenager. She sleeps heavily.

...Or Kirk, because he's a middle-aged chaos rogue who doesn't care. He'd be the one who, when the camp gets invaded by soldiers, opens one eye only when there's a knife to his neck. And then responds with some quip about how he would rather go back to sleep thanks.

. . . Most Likely to Steal Food from Other Peoples’ Plates . . .

Probably Josie again. Am I stereotyping younger siblings? Possibly! Then again, I—as the eldest—have been working on becoming as chaotic as a younger sister (if she gets too close I lick her nose. she's disgusted. she is the one with little concept of personal space. I have outdone her at her own game.) So possibly Billie too, but it would be in a preoccupied kind of way like "ah yes food" without realising it's not hers. 

. . . Most Likely to Cheat on a Test . . .

...I want to say that Billie would. 

I mean, it depends! On, say, how important the test is, what the consequences are, whether she considers the test valid or not... 

And this is something I've never considered before! but I like knowing this about her xD

. . . Most Likely to Say “Oops” After Setting Something on Fire . . .

Kirk. Or possibly Rowan. Actually, Alexander might as well. 

How concerning. I might need to have a talk with the boys.

. . . Most Likely to Open an Orphanage . . .

Empress Georgeanne. It's a good look and she has the resources to do so, plus you get a small generation who are indebted to you and therefore more likely to be loyal! If she visits them sometimes and makes sure the staff are good people, the children will look up to her.

. . . Most Likely to Run off with the Circus . . .

Josie. The circus sounds super exciting! Plus I have zero doubt she's already been practicing horseback tricks on her definitely-necessary day-long trips into the forest to find food etc. xD

. . . Most Likely to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse . . .

Count Laszlo lives in the middle of the forest. If he shuts his nice, solid front door and pretends he's not home, he'll make it out the other side of this zombie apocalypse just fine.

Not that I understand what "survive the zombie apocalypse" means. Outlasting it? Becoming master of it? Stopping it? What is it these zombies want?

. . . Most Likely to Fake Their Own Death . . .

As far as my plot currently stands (and I expect this part to stay the same... it makes the rest of the plot work better, so) three characters have already faked their own death! Billie, Elsie and Josie were (to varying degrees) involved in an assassination attempt, so they faked their own deaths and ran away instead. As you do.

If I had to pick another character, definitely Count Laszlo. He wishes to be left alone with his tea and ferns. If faking his death is what it takes for that to happen, so be it.  


. . . Most Likely to Die and Haunt Their Friends . . .

Fun fact. This has also already happened. 

Perhaps not surprisingly, I'm calling spoilers on this one.

However I will say that, if Billie died, she'd spite-haunt her enemies. As we should all aspire to.

• • • • • • •

And I tag... 

Samantha @ Bookshire and Elizabeth @ All Things Trivial and Insignificant! Assuming you haven't done it before xD

For easy copy-and-paste:

. . . The Questions. . .

. . . Most Likely to Be a Poet . . .

. . . Most Likely to Dance in the Rain . . .

. . . Most Likely to Look Good in a Kilt . . .

. . . Most Likely to Get Punched in the Face . . .

. . . Most Likely to Drop Everything and Become a Sheep Herder . . .

. . . Most Likely to Be Found in the Library . . .

. . . Most Likely to Sleep Through an Earthquake . . .

. . . Most Likely to Steal Food from Other Peoples’ Plates . . .

. . . Most Likely to Cheat on a Test . . .

. . . Most Likely to Say “Oops” After Setting Something on Fire . . .

. . . Most Likely to Open an Orphanage . . .

. . . Most Likely to Run off with the Circus . . .

. . . Most Likely to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse . . .

. . . Most Likely to Fake Their Own Death . . .

. . . Most Likely to Die and Haunt Their Friends . . .

• • • • • • •

Which of your characters popped straight into your head upon reading these questions? And which of your real life friend group would fit these, because now I want to do it as a friend-time activity... Do you remember Three Sisters at all? How is your WIP going, friend, because I hope it's going better? Have a lovely week! <3

17 comments:

  1. I think Count Lazlo and I would get along very well. xD Fun answers! I may steal this tag, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely steal it, Sarah! It was tremendous fun.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the tag!! I will look forward to filling it out, hopefully before too many months (or years) elapse...

    That quirk prompt looks SO aesthetic, and I have Ideas, but they're making me sad, and you might've broken my brain. Dangit, Jem!

    "......what are the necessary qualifications for looking good in a kilt. How does one judge that." That is an excellent question that I do NOT have the answer to. But I also want to know. If enough of us want to know, do you think the universe will just tell us?

    If I had a private library I WOULD spend at least five hours in it per day, probably, rules or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Quirk is up now! :) https://samsbookshire.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-wrap-up-ft-quirk-again.html

      Delete
    2. Sad aesthetic ideas? excellllent, Sam, I shall pop over and devour that Quirk of yours post-haste! mwahaha thank you!

      I half want to know what the qualifications are for looking good in a kilt, and I'm half terrified to ask... Perhaps the universe will tell us that we're better off not knowing...? xD

      You would be a very good private library owner, Sam, and an inspiration to all the sad rich English people you read about in Wodehouse stories who probably never go into their libraries xD

      Delete
  3. Ooooooooh, I like this quirk prompt. I like it muchly. *rubs hands together in anticipation*
    I FORGOT about Zephyr (not that I ever knew THAT much about him, but I remember you talking about him before and I recall being very endeared to him). I hope Count Yala is still making sure he's okay.
    "Hi!! I am genuinely nice and also extremely necessary for the plot. Wanna bond over terrible parents?" << HAHAHAHAHA. The best character introduction I ever did see. (I hope this is a DIRECT QUOTE from Three Sisters--and he just pops out of a shrub or something)
    Also, taking food off someone else's plate absently like "ah yes food" XD
    This tag looks like so much fun! Thanks for tagging me :) I'll try to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the by, my quirk is up! https://allthingstrivialandinsignificant.wordpress.com/2022/03/18/one-quirk-later-11-dear-mr-lemonade/
      As is my voted most likely tag. I have been...surprisingly on top of things?? https://allthingstrivialandinsignificant.wordpress.com/2022/03/11/the-voted-most-likely-tag-in-which-santa-suffers-nosebleeds/

      Delete
    2. wow wow Erik you got both posts up already! I shall have to take notes on your bloggerliness and figure out how to do it (not procrastinate, perhaps xD) And... "in which... Santa suffers nosebleeds"?? How do you make your posts so chaotically clickable??

      Count Yala is tired of needing to look after Zephyr, but he doesn't blame him, so they're all good! And Alexander appears unexpectedly (to everyone. including me. rude. he literally walked onto the page like "hi I will fix your plot"), but sadly not out of a shrub xD

      "ah yes food" is particularly a mood when it's chips/fries and they're just. sitting there. waiting to be stolen. You can't even be blamed for it, honestly?? It's just. yes food.

      Delete
  4. THE QURIK PROMPT. I am so excited (though as usual I have no idea what I am going to do with it, haha).
    (DO MINE EYES SPY A TSE MEME??)
    Your characters sound lovely. I do seem to recall (from somewhere deep in the recesses of my memory) hearing about them before, yes. ;)
    What ARE the necessary qualifications for looking good in a kilt? A good question. I myself haven't the faintest idea.
    Ah, yes, the tie her to a table leg trick. Sounds like wisdom to me.
    I kind of love Prince Alexander just from that short introduction, I have to say.
    Hm, you really SHOULD talk to those boys about the fire situation. Could be cause for concern.
    I know I've done this tag before, but I don't remember what I answered for a single question, haha. I have a couple of characters who literally ran off to join the circus, though, so I probably did them on that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A TSE meme, you say, dear Professor?? ...why perhaaaps 👀 (It was just such a meme-able format, I decided upon rereading, and promptly made like half a dozen with that one frame xD) Welcome to TSE, by the way! I saw you binged it back in February, that is definitely the way to get into it xD

      We should all tie someone to a table leg at least once in our lifetime, right?

      Ooh characters who literally ran off to join the circus?? I'm going to say straight up that they sound like adorable chaotic cinnamon rolls! ...who probably have suffered more than they deserve. (angst and character suffering? from the Professor? why yes that does sound likely xD)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, I love the idea of this tag!!! Your characters sound SO COOL. XD I'm gonna have to read Three Sisters when you publish it one day. ;)

    Is it at all possible that I can steal this tag? (Lol you mentioned it's from 2018 but I think it needs to be revived :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Saraina! I... really need to show my characters some more love and put in the hours in front of the word doc, heh. And of course you can steal the tag! Drop your link in a reply when you've done it, if you like - I'd love to be introduced to your characters through these questions xD

      Delete
    2. Haha yes!!! Oh thank you!! I will do that XD

      Delete
  6. Hey Jem! My Quirk hath be written. And is it just me, or do the more cheery prompts get darker stories, whereas the darker prompts get silly stories? XD Brains are weird. Especially writer brains. :P

    https://thevoyagingstoryteller.wordpress.com/2022/03/24/jammed-a-one-quirk-later-short-story/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right, Elisha - the more innocent a prompt looks, the darker and angstier these stories tend to get. Whereas, when faced with a sad-looking prompt, we all seem to think "nope, must throw in a tWIST and the twist is that this is pure chaos". Writer brains are amazing and I love seeing this happen!

      Thank you for your Quirk! Although... considering what you just said about innocent-looking prompts, I'm a little wary xD

      Delete
  7. Ta-da! https://thestorysponge.wordpress.com/2022/03/18/one-quirk-later-11-in-which-we-get-two-quirks-for-the-price-of-one-and-there-is-jam-of-some-sort/#more-7584

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two Quirks for the price of one?? This is a bargain. I must investigate.

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))