Tuesday 5 April 2022

One Quirk Later #12


“A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to.”

...actually, that implies that I meant to be writing this on a Tuesday morning when I specifically set rules for myself that prompts would go up on the first Saturday of the month. And I did not mean for this to happen. 

Life's just... life, you know? Nothing huge happening, but the everyday does drag your energy down a bit sometimes. 

Also, I may have forgotten I had to put this post up.


One Quirk Later: Prompt #12

As always: *waves hands vaguely at my Pinterest*

To join in with this madness:

  1. Write whatever this picture prompt inspires you to! 
  2. Post it on your blog! 
  3. Link back to this post—there's the image up the top of the post, too, if you'd like to use that. 
  4. Comment on one of my posts so I can come and read your amazing writing!
  5. And I'll drop links to everyone's stories in the next post. (:

On the last Saturday of April (or, you know... sometime around then??) I will post my Quirk in response to this prompt. But you can use any Quirk prompt (<= look, there's a bunch there!) at any time! Just let me know if you do, so I can come and read it and squeal. 💛


Confession time: I have a file with a bunch of Quirk prompts, ranging from finished and used, to those in varying stages of disarray. There are four in this file which are ready to be posted! annnnd instead I jumped on Pinterest last night, grabbed a big double handful of pictures, dumped them in the workspace file, and pulled this Quirk prompt out of the resulting muddle. 

You just can't control the muse, y'know? 

• • • • • • •

Hopefully something about this prompt will spark your muse to Turn Up And Start Writing, You Horror Head, Why Have You Abandoned Me. ...horror head is something my mum called troublesome children but I'm just realising that prooobably isn't common slang? xD 

If you're working on Camp NaNo and this fitsor fits as an AU scene, perhapslet me know, because that would be really cool! Also let me know how your Camp is going so I can applaud. 

And for those of you who, like me, maybe decided they had other focuses this month, maybe simply fear NaNo, no one will ever know, I will take this secret to the grave, 

obviously this Quirk is basically the opposite of NaNo, being tiny, so stretch your writing muscles here and enjoy creating a finished piece! win-win, boom.

• • • • • • •

And also comment and let me know what's been dragging YOU down recently, whether it's a commute, or customer service, or assignments, or a tiny but repeated task. 

And then please put a few things which spark happiness into your life despite these things dragging you down!! 

For me, seeing a dog. I turn to the person next to me and go "DOG DOG DOG". And that brightens my life. 

13 comments:

  1. Hmmm. That's an excellent question. What's been dragging me down lately is the sheer number of large-ish projects I need to work on, combined with the number of small things I ALSO need to do.
    But one thing that sparks happiness is the fact that it's finally spring here, and it's sunny, and flowers are blooming, and I can do things outside!

    And I can't wait to do this Quirk, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the beauty of God's marvelous creation gives you energy to do all your large and small tasks, Sam! <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It rather did. :) My quirk is up! https://samsbookshire.blogspot.com/2022/04/april-wrap-up-quirk.html

      Delete
    3. Awesome! I look forward to reading it!

      Delete
  2. A QUIRK A QUIRK *slamming doors and banging typewriter keys in an effort to rouse the muse for the occasion*
    (oh but I WISH I had a typewriter)
    Can't control the muse indeed. Your method of choosing a prompt sounds much like my method of choosing a book write. I have a list of ideas--some mere premises, others with several scenes and notes already written--but then I sit down to write and oH LOOk a nEW IDeA. *trying to console my weeping WIP's in the background "I'll get to you someday, I *promise*")
    I don't fear Camp NaNo. Hahahahahahahahahaha, no.
    On a completely unrelated note, I am not doing Camp NaNo this month.
    What's dragging me down? The crippling thought that the book I've been hacking away at writing for the past three months is going to turn out to be a RUBBISHY DISASTER *distant screaming*
    A spark of happiness? My little sister's fiance, upon hearing that the only Western we had seen was Back to the Future 3 (which totally counts, right?), showed us a Western. And it was....really fun???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *crawls behind the curtains to check if the muse is hiding there*
      SHINY NEW IDEA syndrome. It's a writer curse. Much to the dismay of our overflowing box of previous ideas who simply need some love.

      Erik, I'm sure your book will turn out great!! After all, you've put so much time and effort into it, I'm sure your characters will love you and cooperate. <3

      ahh you too have a "little sister's fiance" in your family! (does it feel as odd to you as it does to me?? like, lovely couple, but they are younger than me and therefore Children xD) Ah, well, I've never even seen Back to the Future, so you're ahead of me! What Western did you watch?

      Delete
    2. (I think my characters would love me a cooperate more if I didn't keep doing horrible things to them, hmmm...)
      Having a "little sister's fiance" around does indeed feel SO ODD. "lovely couple, but they are younger than me and therefore Children" PRECISELY. He's a dear and they're so sweet together, but....she is my baby sister? When did this happen??
      We watched Silverado! And there were SIBLINGS. I was not expecting siblings, so I was very pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
    3. My quirk is up! https://allthingstrivialandinsignificant.wordpress.com/2022/04/29/one-quirk-later-12-moonstone-hiatus-announcement/

      Delete
    4. Read some quotes out of our "little sister + fiance" conversation out to said little sister and she was like "OY" but you're not wrong, Erik, you're not wrong. It's Odd. they're the Young Ones. what Is This.

      ...I just watched one clip from Silverado and it does indeed. look fun.

      And a Quirk, hooray!!

      Delete
  3. GANDALF!!!!! You're BACK!!!!! *flings herself hobbitlike onto your cart* It's good to see you again.

    I really really like the aesthetic of this one. I generally do like the aesthetics of them, but this one especially appeals to me, for whatever reason. I think it's the purple? I think I like purple? ANYHOW, I have actually written a story for this one! And will be posting it! At.....some point! Soon! Hopefully! When I have gathered the necessary courage! *packs her bags to go out on a courage-gathering expedition* *leaves a note that she may be gone for, oh, seventy years?*

    Horror head is not a term I have heard before but I love it.

    Dragging me down? Um. *nervous laughter* Watching people I kinda know and care about (like friendly acquaintances? rather than friends?) keep messing up their lives because Bad Decisions and Don't Do Drugs, Kids. Life-brightening things on the other hand: building a new deck with my dad! (Fresh wood smells so good.) My sister's horse deciding I am his favorite human! (You are my favorite horse too, Tug.) ROBINS. (because SPRING) Planning summer adventures with my friend. Dogs in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sarah your comment got swallowed?? by the spam filter?? SO RUDE)

      *chuckles Gandalf-ly into my beard* Time for an adventure to shock all your Sackville-Baggins relatives, wanna run away from some ringwraiths?

      Ooh! Aesthetics are very hard to pin down to a description, for me, so I'm glad to hear you particularly like this one, and I'll see if I can stumble my way into creating some more aesthetially exciting ones! And thank you for your quirk (see, there's a lot of courage in smol hobbits! it didn't take you anywhere close to seventy years to complete your courage-hunting expedition xD)

      Oh that's rough, have a hug from a fluffy owl. It's hard seeing people around you hurting themselves even if you're not super close to them! But those are some really nice life-brightening things (animals and nature, yess), and I hope they continue! (Also. Tug. Is that a Ranger's Apprentice reference. I approve.) How are your summer plans going? (...hopefully your adventures do not involve ringwraiths.)

      Delete
  4. https://thestorysponge.wordpress.com/2022/04/29/one-quirk-later-12-in-which-there-is-a-difference-between-a-cobbler-and-a-shoemaker/

    TA-DA!! A NOT-ANGSTY QUIRK, AREN'T YOU PROUD??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A... non-angsty Quirk? *squints suspiciously* Am I speaking to Charles right now, or......?

      ...I am very proud 😂

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))