Saturday 30 May 2020

Flash Prompt #1 || oh no, I have done a Thing

As I said in my last post, I'd like to get into writing more flash fiction and short stories. There are so many ideas out there, just waiting for attention! So many characters swirling in the mists of our minds, with the potential to form into living, breathing, crying characters if we would only give them attention!

Also it's shorter than writing a novel, and you can leave the ending really open.

Which is why--as I hinted in my last post--I have done a Thing.



Or. More accurately. I am going to do a thing. And due to being a perfectionist procrastinator, I am sharing this thing with all of you so that I have accountability and will (no doubt a mere few hours before I need it finished) sit it down and actually DO it.

Explanations, because the last paragraph cleared absolutely nothing up:

  • I have gone through my Pinterest boards and semi-randomly selected three pictures. (Well, two pictures and one dialogue prompt.) These were combined into a prompt. See below!
  • Between now and my next post, I will write something based on this prompt! 
  • ...annnd I will post the resulting piece for the entirety of the internet to see, I'm reconsidering this plan already. :)

Flash Prompt #1:

(Pictures from c. families, f. dialogue and a. pocketwatches and white rabbits.)

The thing is, though! If this sparks any ideas in your brilliant writerly brains, please go ahead and use it! And then, if you feel like posting your writing on your blog, you can tell me in the comments and I'll put up a link! (If you don't want to post but you did write, tell me in the comments anyway and I'll give you virtual lamingtons.)

...I suppose you'd call this a writerly link-up?

So. Yep. I want to do more flash fiction, and I want to see other people's epic stuff, and I'm hoping to make this a monthly thing. Maybe. 

• • • • • • •

What do you think? Hopefully you're intrigued. Will you join me in this adventure? What kind of prompts would you like to see? What direction does this prompt take your mind?

• • • • • • •

My next post will be [*screams because Announcing = Commitment*] next Saturday! or Friday! or whenever the Time Zones decree! In one week, basically. But I'll keep adding links after that, so no pressure. xP

join meeeee

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! Jem, we are TWINS. A couple weeks ago, I was literally trying to get my writing group to do a weekly writing prompt to see how our writing styles differ when using the exact same prompt!!! (I even made a Google doc and everything. But alas. It has not come to fruition yet.) BUT!!!!! BUT BUT BUT!!!!! I really wanna do this, too!!! Would you mind so very horribly much of this smol gremlin of a writer joins you in this endeavor??? (Ignores the struck out JOIN ME at the bottom of the page) please say yes. This prompt looks amazing. If it's a link up will there be a graphic to share? Or do I just link back to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smol gremlins are very welcome. PLS DON'T LEAVE ME LONELY. xD (I hope your other group prompt does come to fruition too!)

      That's a good question! Currently I do not have a graphic - maybe just link back and if you comment I'll link to yours - but that's definitely something I should work on, going forwards. A graphic [and a cooler name xP]

      Delete
  2. I might just have to participate! This is such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find it sparks any new story ideas, I'd love to see what you come up with, Sarah! :D

      Delete
  3. DUUUUUUDE. I have to do this now. Yup yup. I'm joining. Also the Exasperated Dad. Yes. (Oh, but also. I'm new to the flash fiction world... what are the rules? Like... length-wise???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES join meee, Kate! :D (I 100% went with an Exasperated Dad story...)

      Google suggests that flash fiction is usually below 1000/1500 words, but... rules?? on my blog?? nah mate. As long or short as you like. (If it kicks off something longer, well, you have my respect!) And you don't necessarily need to use all three pictures, either... whatever your muse fancies.

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))