Saturday 16 May 2020

the Spring Cleaning Tag || contains tiny snippets

Is it spring?

No.

Do I, regardless of the season, feel like doing a tag that forces me to hash out my goals and WIP status, with the extra option of actual spring cleaning?

...absolutely.



SO. The Spring Cleaning Tag it is!

I was tagged by Sarah at Dreams and Dragons - you might not remember, Sarah, as this was, uh, a full two years ago. *dies*



–{{1. Dust-bunnies and Plot-bunnies: Reorganize Your Writing Goals (Or Make New Ones)


1. Heavy investigation of a plot for Three Sisters. 

I know there's one somewhere?? It seems to have forgotten to write itself down in my notes, which is rude, but I need it so I can get onto my second goal:

2. Second draft of Three Sisters. 

Because I wrote "THE END" on my first draft.

Or was it a zero draft. It's the first time I've ever finished a novel-length draft! So I'm excited to see what this thing called "Rewriting" is. 

(My Word doc is sitting at just over 60k... how much of that is me screaming "YOU REALLY NEED TO NAME THIS COUNTRY" and "wHY DID I WRITE THAT, I HAVE NO MEMORY" and "#SECONDDRAFTPROBLEMS"? I have no idea. Guess I'll find out.)

3. Flash fiction. 

I hadn't done any of this for ages, but it's so fun and I want to. In fact, there may even be a way I can tie it in with blogging... [she says, for accountability reasons, because otherwise she'll never do it]

...honestly, I need to write these out and stick them on the wall beside my desk so I know what I'm supposed to be aiming for.


–{{2. Which Stage Are You At? Expound!


a. Remodeling layouts (planning the story)
b. Painting the walls in colorful hues (writing)
c. Polishing the windows and scrubbing the floors and putting flowers in vases (editing)
d. Blueprints (not to the cleaning or remodeling yet… just drawing up plans for the very beginning inklings of a story)
e. Some combination of those things (cleaning out a closet)

I am doing... some strange combo of (a) and (b). Planning, so that I can write a draft that doesn't have important plot points just *sparkle fingers* APPEAR half-way through. Or two-thirds of the way through. Or - actually, I think one important character/relation/plot point materialized just before the climax?? so.

I pantsed my draft, and now I have to... fix it. Somehow.

 Me, opening my WIP:
Jem "I'll fix it in the second draft" Jones, hiding inside:



–{{3. Treasure From the Back of the Closet (Share one to three snippets you love!)


...pretty sure this is too close to a zero draft to be sharing snippets from?? But what is life if you're not living close to the edge.

haha NO this is in NO WAY a motto I live by, are you KIDDING NOPE. in case you couldn't tell by the fact that I posted about how much I enjoy being told to stay home for the quarantine.

These snippets are from April's Camp NaNo and are therefore likely to be edited straight out in the next draft! :D

Rowan looked at Laszlo. "You don't even look surprised."

"I've had Miss Billie in my house for a total of four days, and in that time life has become so horrifyingly convoluted that I'm just surprised I didn't see this coming."

Uh, let me see what else isn't a spoiler... *scrolls for five minutes*

Count Laszlo snorted. "I would protest that I was the least injured party in all of this, except have you seen what he did to my ferns?"

They all glanced down at Rowan.

And the last line:

"I'll sit with you as long as you like," Rowan replied, soft. "As long as you need."


My "feel" for this story is supposed to be about one-quarter soft, one-quarter angst, and one-half snark. I'll be keeping that in mind when I start the second draft - enjoying the "feel" is half of what keeps me going (the other half is that I'm afraid of what the characters would do if I left them in their current state).


–{{3.5. Bonus: Do Some Actual Spring Cleaning of Your Writer Self! (And share a picture!)


I don't have a picture because it's not set up yet, but I've cleaned off a big section of my cupboard door, and I'm hoping to set it up as a plotting board!

• • • • • • •

I'm not tagging anyone for this, because I don't know who's done it already, and who's on hiatus, and who's taking tags, and - I may have mentioned previously? - I am socially awkward. (Still, which seems unreasonable.) But! If you want to steal it, go ahead: the rules and questions are below.

Rules:
1. Link back to the person who tagged you
2. Share the picture
3. Answer the questions (naturally…) or even pick and choose which ones you answer
3.5. Tag 3 other writers and inform them that you tagged them (via comment/message/email or hey, even carrier-pigeon or smoke signal; I’m not picky)

Questions:
–{{1. Dust-bunnies and Plot-bunnies: Reorganize Your Writing Goals (Or Make New Ones)
–{{2. Which Stage Are You At? Expound!
a. Remodeling layouts (planning the story)
b. Painting the walls in colorful hues (writing)
c. Polishing the windows and scrubbing the floors and putting flowers in vases (editing)
d. Blueprints (not to the cleaning or remodeling yet… just drawing up plans for the very beginning inklings of a story)
e. Some combination of those things (cleaning out a closet)
–{{3. Treasure From the Back of the Closet (Share one to three snippets you love!)
–{{3.5. Bonus: Do Some Actual Spring Cleaning of Your Writer Self! (And share a picture!)

• • • • • • •

What's your current Writerly Goal? Are you interested in writing flash fiction? How many times have you written THE END on a first draft?? Did you enjoy my tiny snippets? I have no idea how there's so much Rowan.

And it actually is spring in the Northern Hemisphere, isn't it.... USA friends, why do your seasons start mid-month.

(also, I have an important question. Does anyone watch Merlin, and if so, is it worth the pain?? I need to know before I commit.)

16 comments:

  1. Oh I completely forgot I tagged you in this. xD I enjoyed your snippets and hearing about your project, though. And I feel you with messy first drafts. Also, those snippets are fab, especially the last one.

    Also: MERLIN. YES. I absolutely recommend it. It is heartbreaking at the end. And elsewhere. But it's worth it, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for forgetting, Sarah... it's been a while xD (Thank you! <3)

      BUT DO I WANT MY HEART BROKEN ugh it's too late now. I'm three seasons into Merlin and committed.

      Delete
  2. "I pantsed my draft, and now I have to... fix it. Somehow." Literally how I feel every single time I look at my WIP...


    samsbookshire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High-five for regretful pantsers facing their completed first draft, Samantha! ;P

      Delete
  3. I have never, perhaps, related to anything so hard as when you said "where did the plot go?" in the beginning of this post. I haven't (SADLY) had much time for writing while at college, but quarantine has got me thinking about plunging back into my messy half-finished drafts. The problem I keep bumping into?? What in the BLUE BLAZES was the actual plot of any of these stories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picture me as Captain Jack Sparrow, but instead of "Why is the rum always gone?" it's me, swaying slightly, mumbling "Why is the plot always gone?"

      Quarantine does seem to be producing some outbursts of creativity! I'm sure your half-finished drafts (I have a BUNCH of those too!) would love to see you again, Kate. Even if the plot has slithered out and run away. ;)

      Delete
  4. That last snippet though....aw.....sounds so sweet.... Also, the Count is THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just put Billie through, well, a breakdown, so I thought I'd better let Rowan be there for her! And Count Laszlo appreciates your appreciation, Julian. xD

      Delete
  5. MERLIN IS INCREDIBLE AND 1000000% WORTH THE PAIN.

    Congrats on finishing the first draft!!! Rewrites are funnnnn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three seasons into Merlin and yes, it's full of fun and emotion and snark and idiots who can't see magic when it's used right under their nose, but I like my happy endings?? [guess who's going to be reading a lot of fanfiction to deal with the pain...]

      Thanks, Lila!!

      Delete
  6. Hopped over here because Kenzie was raving about you in her most recent post :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who leave tags collecting dust in my closet for eons and eons and then pulls them out after everyone who might have tagged me has moved on and forgotten about them. LOL

    Loved your snippets! Your characters sound like a lot of fun! And congrats on finishing your rough draft, that is huge!!! I personally kind of love editing (I say that now... but I've got five rough drafts to edit, so talk to me in a year and I will have probably changed my tune), getting that messy draft into some semblance of order and something I'd actually want people to read... I think that's fun. I'm weird.

    Anyway, nice to *meet* you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to "meet" you, Jenelle! Kenzie's such a wonderful bean, isn't she. :D

      Thank you!! I hope your editing goes well (and you keep your love for it!) - I'll have to learn some tricks from you. ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh my word. DUDE. Have I ever mentioned how much I love your writing??? BECAUSE HOLY GUACAMOLE I LOVE YOUR WRITING STYLE. I know these were just little tiny snippets, but....*heart eyes*

    ALSO ALSO. I DO want to write more flash fiction! I'm fact, I'm kinda writing one right now? (And maybe writing short fiction will miraculously help me become an underwriter?? Aha...please help me.)

    (Also I'm going to pretend like I didn't see the comment directly above mine but...!!! EEP!!!! JENELLE FOUND YOUR BLOG!!! I absolutely love her!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU KENZ. *heart eyes back*

      Join meeee! Ooh - what are you writing about? *toddles off to interrogate you* (Maybe it will! But will writing short fiction be detrimental to my ability [which I... do not have] of maintaining a plot for 60k??)

      (There are so many lovely people on the blogosphere and I'm happy to have Jenelle pop over to my little corner!)

      Delete
  8. I always find that writing 'The End' on a draft is exciting but the excitement is almost eclipsed by the confusion? What I really want to write is something more like 'The End?????????' because I never really know what happened or why or how I came to this point. Maybe it won't feel that way when I get to editing. Someday. I have written 'The End' a total of...three times? Is that right??? on first drafts...which I totally plan on editing. I haven't yet tackled much in the rewriting department.
    Your snippets are wonderful! I am worried about those poor ferns though.
    I am frankly afraid of having...um...GOALS. Because what if I fail. Though I do want to keep in the habit of scribbling at least something every day, whether it be a part of a novel or a short story about toads. My writerly goal write now is just to WRITE. I'm a little vague on the details on purpose.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The End' is a terrifying thing to write, I've discovered, because what do I do now??? Let's hope our editing goes well (and. y'know. happens. at some point.) ;P

      EXACTLY, CHARLES. Goals are scary because PRESSURE and what if we don't make it. But writing [nearly] every day been pretty fun so far. (And now I want to read your short story about toads...)

      Delete

rule 1: comment. or the owl will judge you
rule 2: no inappropriate language. or the owl will judge you.
rule 3: have fun. or the owl will judge you.
((rule 4: feed the owl, he likes cake))